1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic board games?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by copperpot, May 14, 2008.

1. rube

rube Active Member

Oh you can't forget the great pop-o-matic Trouble! The game wasn't that great, but for ADD kids like myself -- just popping that dice ball led to hours and hours of annoying fun.

And Risk ends this thread right here ... great game. I've seen more screaming matches/fist fights over the continent of Australia in that game than just about any other board game situation ever.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If you've got trouble, wait don't run. This kind of trouble is lots of fun. Pop-o-matic pops the dice, pop a six and you move twice. Move your men around the track and try to beat the others back. That's pop-a-matic Trouble.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I interviewed a boxer one time. In his hotel room. While he played Trouble against his entourage. He said, "Go ahead, ask your questions. I can talk to you and whip their asses at the same time." And he did.

4. rube

rube Active Member

Outstanding!

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Buddy McGirt. Didn't fare so well against Pernell Whitaker a few days later but he was an excellent guy to interview and bullshit with for a while.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pretty fair fighter in his day. And not many guys did well against Sweet Pea back in the day.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Three pages and no mention of Trivial Pursuit, Huggy?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It was mentioned in the first post, I believe. And to those talking about missing game pieces, Trivial Pursuit came about after the guys who eventually invented the game sat down to a Scrabble game that was missing a bunch of tiles and soon after mused about inventing their own game.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I still regret the day I play "Hungry, Hungry Hippos" with Mike Tyson. Good thing I didn't win. Evander Holyfield edged me out down the stretch.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I wonder if anybody around my age remembers a game called Fireball Island--loved that game as a kid.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Columbo, the precursor for Clue.

[​IMG]

I found one on eBay two years ago and bought it for my sister. When we were kids, we played it so much, the board fell apart.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I would kill for a good hearts game.

I learned hearts on Valentine's Day 1992, when a friend came into the cafeteria and said "Want to learn an appropriate game for today?" A group of six or seven of us fell for the game, hard, and played it every single day, skipping many classes along the way, the rest of the semester. Nothing worse than someone suggesting a game and being the fifth person to express interest.

I remember one Friday afternoon when our game went for two hours. I forget who won, but we all entered the last round with 95-plus points, and the cafeteria was completely empty when we finished. We were all exhausted and went our separate ways...for a few hours, until we met at someone's house to play again that night.

I've never found a group nearly as good as that one. And now we're all scattered about the country. seriously, I would kill for a good hearts game.

Draft saved Draft deleted