1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic board games?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by copperpot, May 14, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I loved chess. Still do.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

J-J-J-Jenga.

There was also this other game where you had a whackload of toothpick-type sticks holding up marbles and had to take toothpicks out one by one until all the marbles fell. Can't remember the name of it though.

Really fits in with the theme I had in my youth of becoming an architect.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I mentioned NFL Strategy on another thread, then someone sent me an eBay notification that there were two for sale at around $20 minimum. Thought about it, but it was a bad time financially to try and get into a bidding war.

Always loved the game Life, Payday and Stratego. Also, Axis and Allies.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It was indeed All-Star Baseball.

The homerun wedge on Babe Ruth's disc was awesome.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That was me.

I understand not wanting to pay $20, plus $10 shipping . . .

But there was at least one other one posted up there at the time with an opening bid of a penny, with no advances. I don't think that people are fighting over each other for copies of that thing, these days. You might be pleasantly surprised.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I remember that. Wasn't that background/scoreboard a picture of Wrigley Field?

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Kerplunk.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Monopoly is a lovely game, when played honestly, but the time commitment is considerable, and in a six-way game, starting first or second is of enormous importance, unless you're playing with a collection of utter morons.

Clue is also one of the five great board games ever, especially when played to the letter of the rules (especially the codicil which called for dragging another player into your room, if you were making a suggestion naming that player in your tri-pronged suggestion of the moment).

I've found that people who are good at Hearts are equally good at Clue.
    One of the interesting subterrainian gameskill parallels of life.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go back and check it tonight.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's a '72 model up for two bucks, and '78 and '80 models posted for $10.
    No bids on any of 'em, yet.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My dad and I loved a game called International Muhle and we may have been the only two to play it. Can't find one on eBay, references on Google, anything. Pottery Barn has some version of it but not the same one.
    We were down for a best 10-of-19 tournament the day he died and I haven't had the heart to play it since.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yes, it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted