1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic board games?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by copperpot, May 14, 2008.

1. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Mouse trap is a great one ... I got it for my birthday and thought it was the best present ever. Although Mikey's right, we probably played only a handful of times before parts went missing.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sweet God.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I had that baseball game, but it wasn't Strat-o-Matic (which I also had). I think mine was called "All-Star Baseball" or some such generic name. I loved it because in addition to the all-stars of the 80s, it also had cards for a few old-timers like Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That's it. I still have it somewhere, but the clock has been busted since before my uncle handed it down to me. I developed an intricate way of keeping time based on the plays that were called and the outcome. It was something like: one minute for a run of over 10 yards or a pass over 20 yards, 45 seconds for a run of under 10 yards or a pass of under 20 yards, 30 seconds for an incomplete pass, etc. I think I maybe even flipped a coin on plays to the short side of the field to determine whether the ball carrier went out of bounds and stopped the clock.

And I was like 8 when I played this. I was (am) such a nerd.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Scotland Yard
    [​IMG]

6. EStreetJoe

Has anybody mentioned the two true classics yet?

- Checkers

- Chess

7. 93Devil

If you were not in gifted classes growing up you should sue the school you attended.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You're a savage.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

oh shi- ... I was just thinking about this game. I played it by myself because I am was a loser with no friends :(

I do hope that thread leads to a place where I can buy it.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I was.

11. 93Devil

Check Moddy's post on that thread.

On an unrelated note, I just read the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. [/cheating?]

12. EStreetJoe

Minor threadjack -- my school growing up had a gifted & talented program in the middle school. They based it purely on IQ. So I missed out on it because 5 teacher recommendations was not enough to make up for the 2 IQ points I fell short on.

Draft saved Draft deleted