1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classic albums?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 16, 2019.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

On the fence about seeing the Who when they come to Fenway. They're my favorite band of all time and I've seen them a number of times over the last couple of decades (most recently about 10 years ago). And even though over this time, they obviously haven't been what they were in the '70s at their peak (not that I'm close to old enough to have seen them during the '70s), they've always put on a great show -- even the two times I saw them with Pino Palladino replacing the late, great Ox. But Daltrey's voice sounds very strained and forced these days (he's also about to turn 75 so you have to cut him some slack). And I'm not sure I'm down with the whole orchestra thing. The extra musicians were fine for the Quadrophenia shows. But the best I've seen was 2000 when they were stripped down to Pete, Roger, John, Zak and their longtime touring keyboardist Rabbit. And even though I may not go myself, I hate the reflexive "They should hang it up already!" bullshit. They're in high enough demand that they can fill big venues. They clearly still enjoy playing music (even if they've never enjoyed each other that much). So why the hell should they stop? Especially if they can make a few bucks -- and the two of them give quite a bit to charity.

As far as Rush goes, I saw them on the Clockwork Angels tour where they played Moving Pictures in its entirety for the first set and they were fucking amazing. But drumming the way Peart does has taken a massive physical toll on him and apparently he doesn't feel like he play up to his standards on a nightly basis anymore.

One band that still brings the energy live as well as anyone -- and still puts out great albums -- is Iron Maiden. Can't wait to see the Legacy of the Beast tour this summer.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did anyone say Pet Sounds?
    Taking Heads, Speaking in Tongues,
    NRBQ Yankee Stadium,
    Elvis Costello My AIM Is True, Armed Forces, Get Happy

Rockpile, Seconds of Pleasure.
    David Bowie. Pick a few
    Santana. Abraxas , Santana
    REM Out of Time
    Robert Palmer, Double Fun

Obviously but didn’t see these
    Frampton Comes Alive
    Carole King Tapestry
    Stevie Wonder Fullfillingness’ First Finale
    Grateful Dead American Beauty

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Played for David Lee Roth, Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie. He's an incredibly gifted bluegrass player, too.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

Peart's shoulders are supposedly a mess and he had to work through a fair amount of pain to play on the R40 tour (they were terrific, too). It was a minor miracle that he didn't completely exit the game after the deaths of his wife and daughter in under a year's time. He just wants to spend time with his family now, and who the hell could blame him?

I'm going to the LotB show this summer too. They killed it on The Book of Souls tour a couple of years ago and I cannot freaking wait. They were on the precipice of losing their way a couple of times and seemed to be headed for nostalgia tours only after the Dance of Death debacle but the last three studio albums have been great. As much as I like the newer material, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more excited to hear Where Eagles Dare and Flight of Icarus than The Red and The Black.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I actually listen to the post-2000 material more these days than the classic era (and I love the Dance of Death album - particularly Paschendaele and Journeyman. So I’m kind of sorry they’ll be playing so little of it. But I’ve seen the setlists and they’re amazing. Can’t wait to hear the Clansman live too. Blaze-era song that was absolutely a steamroller with Bruce performing it at Rock in Rio.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

CURVEBALLS

The Beatles, Rubber Soul
    The Rolling Stones, Aftermath
    The Who by Numbers
    The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society
    David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust
    Iggy Pop, Soldier
    Bruce Springsteen, Tunnel Of Love
    Elton John, Caribou
    REM, Fables Of The Reconstruction
    Fleetwood Mac (1975)
    Warren Zevon, Stand In The Fire
    Paul McCartney, Ram
    Ringo (1973)
    Richard Thompson, Hand Of Kindness
    Led Zeppelin, Houses Of The Holy
    Bob Dylan, Infidels
    Bob Seger, Stranger in Town
    Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
    U2, Zooropa
    Pearl Jam, Vitalogy
    Prince, Sign O' The Times

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Stand In The Fire is one of the best live albums few people have ever heard. Fucking unreal.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Peart's books are tremendous. Some great insights into the behind the scenes workings of Rush amidst the travelogues, Scotch, motorcycles and fridge magnets he collects.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Don’t have as deep a collection as many here, but the albums that always get a front-to-back run in Chez Jlee are:

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Damn - Kendrick Lamar

Let It Bleed - Rolling Stones

Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie

Good Times for People Who Love Bad News - Modest Mouse

Copperhead Road - Steve Earle

Damn the Torpedoes - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

10. DanielSimpsonDay

Your post made me revisit DoD and you're right, it's not as bad as I recall. Not even close.

I think I was looking back and judging a book by its cover (and man, that was baaaaaaad). I was also really into a lot of melodeath at the time (In Flames, Soilwork, Carcass, All That Remains) so I wasn't really patient with anything that wasn't full of pace and aggression. Thanks for giving a reason to go back and listen again!

Think I may see Blaze in a few months, too. He puts on a great performance and is full of passion and gratitude, i.e. the inverse of Ripper Owens.

X-Hack likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The shocking development is where you're convinced an album is a stone-cold classic, don't revisit for a few years and suddenly it's not for you anymore.

That's disorienting.

I did that with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I wore that thing out and now half of it just isn't interesting to me anymore.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That recently happened to me with Weezer’s Pinkerton. Loved every song on that album in my 20s. Tried to listen to it a few months ago, and I kept thinking... why did I ever even own this? It’s alternates between creepy songs about ogling and odes to being an incel.

Hermes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted