1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Class Status

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Aug 4, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Didn't we try to do this a couple of days ago and fail?

Are we made of nothing but fail?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think that's over-broadening the definition.

If your family is making $103K, you're upper-middle class. And if the plumber is making $108K, he's upper-middle class too, even if he uses that money to refurbish a '57 Chevy in his front yard.

3. Maybe boots is the pope.
    Joey Rats, is that you?

4. BRoth

BRoth Member

Mo' $, mo' problemz.

I'm living "comfortably" off my low-20's salary. Thank God I have a live-in girlfriend to help pay for things.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, that's just it. If you were trying to live on that low-20s salary by yourself, you would definitely have mo' problemz.

6. DEB

DEB Member

I think $50,000 is just barely middle class. $75,000 may be middle class. I think that it depends on where you live. For example, in a big city like New York or Toronto, 75,000 may be considered middle class but in NS it could be considered high class.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I live on a low to mid $20k salary and do just fine. Of course, I also live in the cheapest part of the country I have ever lived in.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What and where is NS?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Nova Scotia. She's from Canuckistan, eh?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh. Good point.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The total salary for my wife & I is over $100,000. By no means are we upper-middle class. We are definitely middle-middle class.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I think it all depends on family type and where you live. A young professional couple, no kids, making 100K in, say, Cleveland or Kansas City? They're not rich, but they can live a comfortable life with plenty of disposable income.
    Give them the same pay and a couple of kids and put them in the Northeast or California? They're certainly not poor, but just making ends meet. And that's the difference between upper middle class and working-to-stay-middle-class. It's a big one.

Draft saved Draft deleted