1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Class of '14 Not Into Wristwatches Or E-Mail, Among Other Things.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Aug 17, 2010.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://wbbm.cbslocal.com/2010/08/17/wear-wristwatch-use-e-mail-not-for-class-of-14/

E-mail passe? No wristwatches? Never used phones with cords? This article made me want to reach for my cane & shawl.

Quick, someone reassure me or cheer me up about this.

2. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

After reading that, I've come to one conclusion: I'm old.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

When I was bumped to news in 2009, I pitched a story about the death of the wristwatch because everyone has a cell with the time on it. My editor thought it to be a dumb idea.

I planned on going to the malls and just saying to people of all ages, "excuse me, do you have the time?" and then seeing where they looked to get said time. I was willing to bed an overwhleming majority used cells.

I planned on talking to watch repair people, etc.

Again, ME said no.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good story idea to me, Pete.

I pitched a similar one at my shop about pay phones. Who still uses them? Who maintains them? How can businesses get rid of them if they're on the property?

City editor said no.

Ever since, I've noticed pay phones everywhere. And I still see people using them on occasion.

Take that, Class of 2014!

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Hey Coco,

I pitched and wrote a payphone story not long after. Which made me wonder "why one and not the other?"

I have no idea how management operates sometimes.

Thing is, with my payphone story, I lucked out and found a guy servicing one in our downtown. It was a great stroke of luck.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I haven't worn a watch in several years.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I can't see e-mail just going away. It's way too prevalent in the business world today as the main means for communication.

Wristwatches? Well, if anyone gives you advice about going into the watch business, I'd think twice about that.

The last time I saw a pay phone, workers were dismantling it to take it away.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never worn a watch regularly. I've always found them distracting.
    But I'm definitely on the long-toothed side of the generational divide.
    I always hate the way the Beloit list is presented, but it's a good thing to review to make sure you're thinking about you're audience. At least for me, in college marketing, it is.
    We ran a promotion campaign a little while ago that was a spin on the old 'Be All You Can Be' Army recruiting slogan.
    I tried to explain to the administrators involved that our target demographic has no familiarity with that reference, but they refused to take my point.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

GET OFF MY GODDAMN LAWN!

10. This is the one that got me ...

Item No. 46: “Nirvana is on the classic oldies station.”

I'm 27 and this story made me feel old.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I wear a watch. Always have. Feel wrong if I don't. But along that route if you ask them to do something clockwise or counter clockwise they'd have to idea.

another one on that list. None of them have ever seen John mcenroe play tennis live. I don't know if that's a bad thing.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted