1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clark Judge says attitude should keep T.O. out of the HOF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What will Mr. Judge write when Randy Moss comes up? Same thing?

"Hall of Fame player, but uncooperative and erratic."

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

What a stupid, stupid argument. Headcase or not, the guy's career will get him in the HOF.

3. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I do think this has kept Charles Haley out for a good long while.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So does he also think we should let undeserving players in if they were really nice guys?

Ridiculous. TO belongs in the HOF based upon his playing accomplishments, PERIOD. Whether he was an asshole or not should not make any difference. There's plenty of other assholes already enshrined, one more ain't gonna taint the place.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thank goodness that only quiet, solid American family men like Michael Irvin have been inducted in the past.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Agree.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You could say one was better than the other, but it's hard for me to see how one was ">>>>" better than the other. They're almost identical. Owens was more physical. Moss was more of the speed guy. That's really the only difference.

Owens: 1,078 rec., 15,934 yds, 153 TDs, 6 Pro Bowls, 5 All Pros
    Moss: 954 rec., 14,858 yds, 153 TD, 6 Pro Bowls, 4 All Pros

Either way, they're both assholes. And also locks for the HOF.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Based on my dealings with him, Ryan, I'd say Moss was more of a whack job than an outright asshole.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Whatever. I'm sure neither one is on Clarke Judge's Christmas Card list. And really, that's all that matters here.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Owens will get in. I would argue he should go in on the first ballot, but because he was a dick to some of the guys on the HOF committee, he'll have to wait a couple years.

It's pretty tough to get into Canton as a receiver, and Cris Carter, Andre Reed and Tim Brown are proof of that. Owens was better than any of them. So was Moss.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Based on the numbers and playing reputation, Owens gets in. However, I see Judge's point. Owens has a lot of the same baggage as Dick Allen, who was a superstar talent but there always was a feeling that he wasn't a team player. Now, you can ask what is a team player?

Owens could lead and build up relationship and friends on teams very easily. He wasn't Barry Bonds. But he also could alienate the shit out of certain teammates and coaches pretty quickly. Example: He threw Garcia under the bus in SanFran and later McNabb in Philly. Then he publicly wept for Tony Romo. Which is the real Owens? It is hard to say. And does it matter? For me, yes. I would not vote for Owens because to me he never seemed to go all out on a consistent manner when it counted.

Yes, he had the catch in the Packers game. He had the Super Bowl. He had the 20-catch game. He had standout, superstar moments. But he also had a lot of games where he vanished for lengthy periods of time, alligator-armed passes and generally served as a team distraction when it served him.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you want to spend your time debating whether Keenan McCardell and Derrick Mason and Rod Smith belong in the Hall of Fame, because their numbers are better than a bunch of guys who are in the Hall of Fame, knock yourself out. I'll be the dipshit suggesting that there were a lot of receivers who put up big numbers in the 90s and 2000s, because the game became more pass oriented.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted