1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger Sports designer/copy editor -- reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RustyHampton, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

We'll be posting this job elsewhere in the next couple of days:
    The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss., seeks a versatile designer who can also report and write to fill an opening in our Sports department. The person will design the section 3 nights per week and also have some high school reporting responsibilities. We use QuarkXpress. Prefer 2-3 years experience designing pages and reporting at a daily newspaper. This job will be mainly nights, with plenty of weekend work. We are a state-wide newspaper for high schools and we cover Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Southern Miss and Jackson State. To apply, send a cover letter, resume and some samples of pages you've designed and stories you've written (gamers, plus enterprise and news) to rhampton@jackson.gannett.com.
    No phone calls please.
    Rusty Hampton
    Sports Editor
    The Clarion-Ledger

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Who left?

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Someone who did three jobs and got paid for one.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How would the move to design hubs affect this position? Would it be sent to Nashville (?) or stay in Jackson as a writer/copy editor?

(Rusty, I'm guessing you don't know, but figured it was worth asking.)

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I think they have a beat reporter stationed in both Starkville and Oxford. I know that's at least the case for Starkville.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Awesome line!

7. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Dustin Frucci is leaving for the St. Pete Times.

We are looking for someone who can lay out the section 3 times per week and also help with high school coverage. We are scheduled to move to the Nashville design hub a year from now and I want the new person to be versatile enough to remain as a copy editor and/or writer when the design position is moved to Nashville. The person we hire will also be given an opportunity to move to Nashville (or any of Gannett's four other hubs) if they're interested in that, too.

Rusty Hampton
    The Clarion-Ledger

8. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I want my next car to be versatile enough to wash my clothes for me. Dishes, too. And I don't want to pay any more than I would for the standard car.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Rusty is being very smart is the way he's handling this opening.

It's a good opportunity, except possibly for people who would come on here and snark about it.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yeah, many will apply and the person that's hired will be a real talented newsperson.
    The successful applicant will be well-vetted.
    Good luck to all who apply. Since the 1970s and my knowledge of the place, the shop has always been a good one. My brother worked newside there when they won a Pulitzer.
    Yes there will be a lot of work to do, but nothing too bad so that you want to kill yourself.
    It'll be a good job I'm sure.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is it earth day that makes you act like ass sometimes?

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Yes? What happens if I say yes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.