1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger Ole Miss beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RustyHampton, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ross, I believe is moving from the Jackson State beat, which would mean that there are two beats open. This will be interesting.

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I don't think this is new as the JSU beat was mentioned in the job ad.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Unless Ross isn't going to the Ole Miss beat.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It's a huge red flag for the industry and the direction we see things heading when so many formerly important staffers are whittled off the teams at these various papers. Lee Baker used to write small colleges and jr. colleges stuff at the C-L and his beat was well followed. It added charm to that paper. Bill Spencer's byline was a mainstay on those prep pages and he may have gone to the layout/production side on his own, but the spots in the high school section have decreased for sure over the past decade or two as the Internet has slowly tightened its grip. The aforementioned Christiansen was a fine writer there and it just seems like papers are still trying to cover the same broad expanses with far fewer writers.
    My friends down on the Mississippi Coast are down to three writers, but still hoping to cover all the state colleges/2 junior colleges and 22 prep schools with about 7 sports played at each one.
    You can't do it and the quest now is to establish the exact role of newspapers in this technological.
    I envision the newspapers soon going to 80 percent features stuff and capsulated results entries except for chosen weekly focus points, which will vary through the season and wind up including everyone by year's end.
    These staffs can't cover all this stufff anymore to the extent that they used to.
    Can't do it.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

The Sun-Herald situation is utterly preposterous. They don't even have a true sports editor and canned their two best writers, Saints writer Larry Holder and columnist Jim Mashek, in a round of brain-dead budget cuts. Now they will be overstretched preps, USM and not much else. What's the point of picking up that section any more with no SEC (Mashek) or Saints (Holder)? Quick answer, there isn't any. I mourn for the future. It is a pretty bleak one.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Has Mashek landed on his feet? I see where Holder's doing work for CBS and has his radio show at least.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mash, who posts here regularly, has started his own website/blog and is trying to cultivate a career as a super-stringer, covering college sports, the Saints, etc.

http://www.jimmashek.com/

8. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

To clarify this situation, again. We have one opening right now, for the Ole Miss beat or JSU beat. Ross has not left the JSU beat. We do not have 2 openings. The original post was probably a bit misleading in that I said we had 2 potential openings for Ole Miss and JSU. We have one potential opening, but we're not sure if it is for the Ole Miss or JSU beat.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bloomington's Hugh Kellenberger has apparently taken the job:

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=14898&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I haven't seen a byline from this new writer yet. Is he on-site and/or did he accept the job?

11. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Hugh was hired 2 weeks ago. He is scheduled to start writing later this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted