1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger Ole Miss beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RustyHampton, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I was there overnigtht a couple of days. Wasn't just seeing a game then bouncing.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Insofar as the JSU grease fire, Ross get promoted? Thought Todd was taking a job with Ennis, but recall reading him recently.

Always thought the C-L could cover JUCOs more in depth, but nevertheless, that's a pretty darn good section day in and day out.

3. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Some clarifications:
    Long-time reporter Todd Kelly left the C-L in December and now works for the Mississippi High School Activities Association. He hasn't written anything published in the C-L since December, so if Liut read something by him lately it wasn't in the C-L. Todd's position at the Clarion-Ledger, BTW, was eliminated, leaving us with one high school writer.

No one is immune to furloughs -- or layoffs. Last November, Mike Christensen, a long-time reporter/copy editor, was laid off. Liut wants more juco coverage? In addition to working 4-5 desk shifts per week, Mike wrote a weekly small college notes column and did other features and coverage on small colleges, including jucos. His layoff all but eliminated what little small college coverage we had left.

Ross is still our JSU reporter. In the absence of an Ole Miss reporter, Ross has been helping out on that beat, while covering JSU, working some desk and writing golf.

I appreciate all those who have applied. I am hoping to fill our position soon, but right now the timeline is out of my hands.

Rusty Hampton
    The Clarion-Ledger

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Liut is the first poster on SPJ clamoring for more JUCO coverage.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

"Once You Go SWAC, You Never Go Back."

Honest to Tebow, I have a basketball-shaped mouse pad with that inscription that the league gave as its media gift at the SWAC Tournament years ago in Birmingham.

I treasure it.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's always great watching tournament battles to see what team gets the 16 seed...

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

When...what year...can you be more specific without outing yourself? The town has grown by leaps and bounds, as far as a its social scene, in the past 5 years. Even in the past 10 there has been lots to do.
    When was it you were there "for a couple of days" and couldn't find anything to do?

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Dude, relax.

Sept. 29 - Oct. 1, 2006. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Had dinner one night at a local Italian joint downtown. MSU football was out of town in Baton Rouge, but the place still seemed dead. The fall world series was going on for the baseball team.

Is that specific enough? And in terms of couldn't find anything to do, well I probably spent 75 percent of my time awake working.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'm relaxed and should care less, really, but just couldn't figure out how you came to such a conclusion that there was nothing to do in Starkville.
    Now I see, you were working most of the time and you've only been there once.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Mississippi JUCO coverage in the Magnolia State. If you know anything about the league, you realize it is a fairly significant feeder system to the SEC and other conferences in multiple sports. Readers are interested in it.

Sorry for Mike, happy for Todd. Good people.

11. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Dude has his email, his Twitter and his website in his sig, and he uses his real name as his handle. Don't think he'll out himself.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rusty, I know you need the help but this doesn't sound good. If I'm reading you right, the suits are calling the shots on when to hire and if you're getting by with less right now...
    Hang in there partner.

Draft saved Draft deleted