1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger Miss. State beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RustyHampton, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I honestly can't address everyone's individual situation, but I think if you go back and read some of my posts, you'll find I know my way around Mississippi.

The Clarion-Ledger, being the flagship paper in the state, is a totally different animal than anywhere else in Mississippi.

And there's no way that job pays less than 40K. There's no way. If it did, Veazey would have taken a job back in Alabama any one of the half-dozen times a Bama or Auburn beat job has opened up since he left Decatur.

2. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

Well I would love for whoever gets the job to share some kind of insight (but I doubt that would happen). I can't speak for the sports department, but I know several top news writers who once worked there, and they have said the pay is laughable. Again, that's news — and not sports. Just a little insight.

3. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Well aren't you just a big old ray of sunshine.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is Mississippi we're talking about. The cost of living is cheaper. It's also Gannett, which isn't known for paying top dollar.
    In the end, it will come down to experience. 35K-38 sounds more reasonable. And one can easily live in Starkville or Jackson without investing in Ramen.

5. I said the same thing to someone the other day, but I was told that I was wrong. I find that astonishing and embarrassing for a paper of that size.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Again, in case you missed it. This is Mississippi we're talking about. The cost of living is cheaper. It's also Gannett, which isn't known for paying top dollar.
    It's a good gig but those are things to factor in.

7. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

Guys, if David was making $45-$50k, do you really think he would have left the CL to go to the AP? No way. Think about it. Drip got it right, 35-38k at best. I worked in Mississippi for years and know first hand how they refuse to pay a decent salary.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Which explains why the Dem-Gaz needs an online sports editor. One door closes, another one opens.

10. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Cool. Let me go buy a bunch of SEC hats (Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida and the one just says COCKS) and then I'm ready to interview and head to Arkansas.

Oh wait, it's Arkansas. Forget it.

Oh wait, Bobby Petrino is there. He isn't going to want to see me around and it has nothing to do with the type of hat I wear.

Actually, I would rather have the I-40 collapse again (this time with me on it) than ever see Petrino again or live in the Razorback state.

On the other hand, at least I didn't take the 28K a year job in Mississippi.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Gee, gutenberg, I didn't know you were *offered* the job in Mississippi?

Feel free to post your resume/credentials before sounding like, well, the idiot you sound like in ripping a prime SEC beat job.

rb

12. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Hey Rocky (on bottom) Boy ... where did I say I was offered that job in Mississippi?

You have reading comprehension issues?

And, oh yeah, let me site mail you my credentials immediately.

I'm not dropping back down a level to cover Ole Miss football. Got it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.