1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger Miss. State beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RustyHampton, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mythirdalt

mythirdalt Member

Gainesville is a dump? Wow. I'm not a huge fan myself, but there is a good amount of stuff to do there, even for a non-student.

2. Gainesville hardly has the old-timey, Southern charm some of the other SEC schools have, but there is a lot to do there - especially for non-students. I know people who have moved there from all over the country for the music scene.

3. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

Small point of order here on the nightlife in Starkville. There are several good places where an adult can go get an adult libation and sit with other adults and be an adult......adult.

It's not completely college bars and drunk frat daddies trying to get small-town sorority girls to go home with them. In fact, if you're a single male scribe, Starkville may be JUST the place for you. That last two beat writers for the Bulldogs have come out of that town with their brides. Both great catches. (I think Ian married after he left, but still a girl he met in Starkville.)

I wouldn't let the town scare you away. Be more concerned with Gene Swindoll's mullitude.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The right person in this job doesn't need a lot of outside distractions at first, anyway. It's a tall order to get up to speed on such a beat and begin producing at the level expected ... as the season starts, or is perhaps under way.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Nice.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'm curious about this job in more specific terms. Any idea what the pay might be? What's is management like there? How likely to attack are the fans?

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

They generally disarm them at the gate. But they do have those cowbells ...

8. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

I would guess $30-$35k depending on experience. But that's just a wild guess. But this is Mississippi where minimum wage is about as prevalent as high school dropouts.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

35K? For an SEC beat at the state's largest newspaper? I know it's Gannett, but that sounds way low to me ...

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd imagine more like $45-50K.

11. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

In Mississippi? No way. Why do you think David is leaving? Clarion Ledger recently cut half of its staff. The average sports reporter in Mississippi makes around $25k — at best. I'm living proof.

12. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

Their print readership is dwindling like everyone else's. Nobody's paying for news anymore. Why when you can get online and get it for free?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.