1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger Miss. State beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RustyHampton, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

But, see, Rusty is a former college beat writer at that paper and can easily jump in, if need be, to write some copy on any of the schools in their coverage area.
    He will make a quick hire (from the 100s of resumes he gets) and everything will move smoothly pretty soon.
    We are still mired in the preseason and have a ways to go before kickoff.
    Rusty ain't sweating it.

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I second that boo-yah. State AP here has been struggling lately. He'll be just the kick in the pants it needs.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What is the upside of living in Starkville? It's got to be one of the worst college towns in the country.

Good beat, good paper, but living in Starkville would have to be dreadful for any non-student.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

"would have to be dreadful"
    Such a broad assumption, and with likely no history of having lived there yourself, as a non-student.
    I lived there in the mid-90s, as a non-student, and loved it.

Carry on.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

They've got a better nightlife scene than people give it credit for. But on that beat, you won't have much time to access it.

6. Yeah, nightlife doesn't mean much when you're on a beat in SEC-land. With how fanatical those fans are, you're going to have a lot of work in front of you.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well it's not Austin or Boston, if that's what you mean (or Athens or Oxford, for that matter). But it's an SEC college town, which means cultural and social life opportunities you wouldn't have in another town that size.

But as others have said, you'll be so damn exhausted at the end of the day that all you'll need is a decent bar with cold beer and a few cute girls. And there are plenty of those in Starkville.

And I'd take living in Starkville over living in Jackson every day of the week (and twice on Sunday).

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're in your early 20s and you like chasing college girls, it's the perfect place. But the town is pretty awful otherwise and I love most of the SEC college towns. Starkville is a dump, Gainesville is a dump (although not as bad as Starkville) and I don't have any real issues with the other towns even though Athens is far and away the best college town in the conference.

9. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

You'll be doing everything under the sun here for a lackluster salary, but would be a fun job for a single guy or gal. Like the previous guy said, you definitely won't have time for a social life. You'll be too busy doing things that won't bring any income to the newspaper like Twittering and blogs.

10. Heck, I wouldn't even need the beer. The girls would be enough for me.

11. This is different from any decent job opening on this board how?

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You'll get to see real good teams ... come to town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.