1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clara Hughes....now here's an inspiring athlete's story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 29, 2010.

1. JR

JR Active Member

She's a household name here in Canada

She won medals in cycling in the '96 Olympics and established herself as one of the top cyclists in the world.

Then just after the 2000 summer games she decided to take up speed skating and with only 17 months of coaching and training won bronze at SLC and then gold in Turin.

She became the only athlete in history to win multiple medals in Winter and Summer Olympics.

She's the flagbearer for Canada at Vancouver.

And this from someone who spent a lot of her teenage years, drinking, partying and doing drugs.

"I was just, `Omigod, I want to do that (speed skating) That's what I'm going to do. That's what I'm going to be. I'm going to be that one day,'" recalled Hughes.

"At the time, I smoked a pack a day. I wasn't into really hard drugs, but I was doing a fair amount of soft drugs and just partying a lot. I would run away from home for the weekend. I just wouldn't come home. My mom would be so worried about me. And I just didn't care. Then I'd show up when I wanted to show up.

"And so there I was, this undisciplined, pseudo-amoral girl, young adolescent, and this thing happened inside of me. I was like `I'm going to do that.' I just knew. I KNEW.

And not once does she thank God or Jesus.
  2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Great story, JR. Thanks for posting.
Draft saved Draft deleted