1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CJR's Hits and Misses 2015

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Dec 15, 2015.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

"Tom Dwyre"
    Uh, try it again.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I noticed that, too. CJR has been having some problems with accuracy and clarity lately. In a story last week about the 2015's best and worst in journalism — oh, the irony — the author seemed to imply the Roanoke TV reporter and videographer who were murdered on the air, were dating each other while engaged to other station employees.

"The violence was particularly heartbreaking given that the perpetrator was a disgruntled former employee—and that victims Alison Parker and Adam Ward were dating and engaged to other colleagues at the station."
    Yes, it's a minor quibble, but it's difficult to take seriously any kind of proclamation from the citadel when the details are muddled.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call that a minor quibble at all. That's a glaring error.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

It's a glaring error only if the writer meant to say the victims were dating each other — and I don't believe he was, since it's known that they individually had relationships with others at the station.

Although what he wrote implies something else, I don't think it was intentional, so I'll call it a minor quibble. Your mileage may vary.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Badly written. I don't think he was saying they were dating each other.

Draft saved Draft deleted