1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Civil war a possibility in Iraq ... you don't say?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Aug 3, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'd like to see: "Terror Alert: Ah, who the hell are we kidding here? Even if they come, what would you do?"

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

At this point in the game, the Iraq issue is moot. Bush is going to get his eight years in despite lying, committing crimes and screwing Americans and much of the outside world.

As for the outcome, I recall a shouting match at the office a few years ago during which I noted the likelihood of civil war and the uncertain nature of WMD.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But according to the generals in the article that started this thread it hasn't started yet. I thought we were always supposed to listen to the experts...

4. We are supposed to evaluate comments based on self-interest.
    The military opposition to the happy-faced torturers -- most of whom haven't served a day in uniform -- in the Executive branch is based on the self-interest that our guys should not be tortured when captured either.
    The comments of the general today in re: the ongoing civil war are based on the self-interest that neither he nor his peers, civilian or military, want to admit the obvious fact that the occupation has blown up through manifest incompetence.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I doubt it would fix everything. However, the deaths of more than 2,500 American soldiers, the injuries to another 19,000 American soldiers, and the deaths and inijuries of tens of thousands of civilians could have been avoided if we hadn't been so foolish as to invade Iraq in the first place.

And, oh yeah, we could have saved $300 billion or so.

6. My favorite quote of the day came from Rummy, though:

"I have never painted a rosy picture. I have been very measured in my words, and you’d have a dickens of a time trying to find instances where I have been excessively optimistic."

OK, today's SportsJournalists.com Internets Scavenger Hunt is on!

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . starting with Little Dick, and the rose petals . . .

8. Play fair, Ben.
    Only past Rummy quotes allowed.

9. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

You know what we are here to talk about a series matter not bash on people.

10. A series matter?
    Wow.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I think he should be posting on the World Serious of Poker running thread.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

FB . . . I made sure to let this one run awhile, before I said anything . .. have fun . . . though it's largely pointless to attempt to enter
    serious discourse with those boasting virtually no historical perspective . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted