1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

City Of Thieves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, you may think this is a thread about my Final Four experience in Detroit.
    OK, bad joke. The people in Detroit were fantastic. Best Final Four city in the past quarter-century for volunteer involvement, and second place is as far back as Michigan State was after 10 minutes against Carolina.
    I'm digressing here.
    This thread is to call your attention to a book I believe to be worthy of your time. I was not familiar with the name David Benioff until I came across it on the cover of "City Of Thieves." Turns out he wrote "The 25th Hour", the novel and the fantastic screenplay that Spike Lee turned into the best movie he ever made. Benioff also wrote the screenplay for the upcoming "Wolverine", for which I'll forgive him because it'll probably buy him another three houses and because it pays the bills while he writes stuff as good as 25th Hour and City of Thieves.
    City Of Thieves is based on his grandfather's experiences in Russia during WWII. A much different perspective than most of what I've read about the war, and it's an amazing story fabulously rendered. Best book I've read, by far, since Nick Hornsby's "A Long Way Down."
    I'm a slow reader, and it was so good I got through in a day and a half.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Detroit doesn't always look like that. I'm a homer and I was as surprised as you are.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

There's nothing wrong with Detroit that some good jobs and a few doses of penicillin can't cure. There are some good folks there.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Benioff is a fabulous writer and I am so pleased to find someone who appreciates 25th Hour, one of my top ten favorite films ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted