1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

City of champions?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Philadelphia is the only team to get all four teams into the finals of their sport in the same year. The Sixers, Flyers, Phillies and Eagles all got to the finals in 1980. The Phillies were the only ones that won, though.
    Also, the Eagles played the Super Bowl in January 1981 but it was still the 1980 season.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In 2001 the Atlanta Thrashers and Falcons both had the No. 1 pick, and the Hawks picked No. 3. The Braves were late in the first round, though.
    Atlanta also pulled off a double in 1975, with the Falcons and Hawks. The old Atlanta Flames picked eighth and the Braves were 16th.

The Boston Bruins and the Patriots both had the No. 1 pick in 1982, but the Celtics were No. 23 and the Red Sox No. 16 (which they used to take the famous Sam Horn).

New York also had back-to-back doubles in 1965 (Rangers and Giants), and again in 1966 (Mets and Knicks). The Knicks picked third in 1965, which was the only time in a four-year span that they did not have the first overall pick.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

yep. I got really excited when I saw savard at third and the bulls with a two. Then the bears dashed it with Otis Wilson.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Red Wings sucked ass in those years too

Liut and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Seals had almost as many uniform color changes as seasons in Oakland. Or wins.

They started with dark green and blue as an expansion team. When Finley bought them, he switched the combo to kelly gold and green -- with white skates. Then they were switched to a teal and yellow.

Amazingly, many of the off-ice officials are still alive -- some even work for the Sharks -- and have regular Seals Alumni get-togethers. Which would probably be about the size of a Seals home crowd.

As a high school kid interested in sports play-by-play, I stopped Jon Miller one time after a Seals broadcast for some advice, thinking as a big-time NHL announcer, he'd be a grizzled vet with plenty of stories. He was only seven years older than me!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

And the Pistons are considering offers for Andre Drummond, right? Or at least I've "heard." Same thing, over and over and over.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And Rose.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This is interesting...

I wonder what the worst professional season would be if you weighted the sports on an 80-game season?

Each football loss would be x5, each baseball x1/2, basketball would be x1, hockey x1.

Your city needs at least 3 sports to be considered, and a 4-team city could be a .75 multiplier to balance itself against a three-team city?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

OK, I do have other things to do, but under my above metric, 2019 Detroit has a CSR (city suck rating) of 217. As a point of reference, 1980 Chicago using a Cubs, had a CSR of 173.5.

The leader board -

2019 Detroit - 217
    1980 Chicago - 173.5

Draft saved Draft deleted