1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cities that need new stadiums

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Sep 6, 2007.

1. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Um... I think Cleveland Browns Stadium (notice no corporate logo... thankfully) is actually quite nice. Doesn't have the charm or the atmosphere Municipal Stadium had, but I don't really understand why it was on that list.

If we're looking at new stadiums that need to be scrapped, my vote is for the Very Average Ballpark in Cincinnati... wow. It's just kinda there... it's blah. No character, even for a new stadium. I don't understand how baseball stadiums in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, SF and Cleveland got it right and Cincy got it so wrong.

Then again, boots probably thinks the Jake is a dump too... is it those Tribe fans?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

I like Cincy...I think part of the problem there is that it look out onto...nothing.
    Had they been able to turn it to look at the Cincy skyline, then it'd be better.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Are you serious? Ford Field is tremendous...

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Joke

Mizzougrad96's head

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does Yankee Stadium need replaced?

If they did not have an unfair advantage with the YES Network, imagine George the III selling another 80 luxury boxes in the New York market?

I was there last week as a fan, but the concessions are poor, the seats do not face home plate and the halls are narrow.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I am not.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Cincy's stadium...

Oakland and New Orleans should be on this list...

It's going to be interesting to see what the NFL does with L.A. Supposedly, both the Vikings and Jaguars want to move there, but the league isn't going to want to just let a team move there when they think they can get $1 billion for a LA franchise (keep in mind, Houston paid $800 million). The league loves having 32 teams, which is the perfect number for a lot of reasons....

I think they should fold the Jaguars franchise and then add a team in LA as an expansion team. The Jaguars get the worst fan support in the NFL and the only time anyone there seems to give a shit about football is when Florida is playing Georgia.

8. hachat11

hachat11 Member

Cincy's stadium is nice. It's not jaw-dropping, but it's a great place to watch a game.

And Browns Stadium is just fine, and that's someone who can't stand the Browns. Boots is simply a moron. But we knew that already.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yeah, boots. . . . if you wanna post a new topic here, it needs to be a proposed repository for "letters to the good people of the world" or asking "what's for supper tonight?" or "Post a song you're listening to!"

Ahem. "Anything goes," indeed.

As for the thread itself, which people seemed to be interested in:

Oakland needs a new stadium for both teams, and LA needs something better than the Coliseum if the politicians really think they're ever gonna attempt to truly lure an NFL team.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

FWIW, I think all three of those threads were created before the outlining of the rules which we're trying to follow.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

True.

I'm sure that if those threads would have begun after mid-June, they would have all received similar warning.

My apologies.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dallas.

I'm only a little serious. The city could have had a brand new stadium built where the Cotton Bowl stands today but the recently departed mayor fucked up the deal and Jerry Jones decided to build his new playpen in Arlington. Which is a akin to building the Taj Mahal in the middle of a trailer park.

In addition to losing the Cowboys the city has also lost the Cotton Bowl game, the Super Bowl and any future Final Fours. All of which will now go to Arlington.

Dallas' current spin is that they will "fix up" the Cotton Bowl and attract marquee college games that will be played during the State Fair like Texas-OU already is. Unfortunately teams that were interested in playing at the Cotton Bowl are now talking to the Cowboys about playing at their new stadium. The only reason Texas and OU are still playing at Fair Park is because their alumni would riot if they moved.

The excuse from the city was that they couldn't justify the expense of building the stadium when so much else was wrong with the city, especially the Fair Park area, which has been decaying for years.

Of course, as has been pointed out by people much wiser than me, when else can the city expect to find a business willing to pump millions, if not billions into the Fair Park area like the Cowboys were willing to do?

Draft saved Draft deleted