1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cities that need new stadiums

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Sep 6, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

There are a lot of venues out there getting up there in age and showing signs of wear and tear. And that's on the pro level. There are many college sites that should be torn down. Who makes your top three and give a reason why.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you are really interested in this as a topic, rather than throwing out a simple question, which anyone can do in 3 minutes or less to start a topic, please express your own opinion and offer some insights, in order to try to stimulate discussion. As Webby might suggest, 1) Please consider if it is a topic anyone will care about (perhaps this is), and 2) Offer your own comments or insights, because it offers some substance and direction on the topic.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If we're talking NFL, Indy is getting their new one in a few years...

San Diego, Minneapolis, St. Louis and San Francisco could all use new football stadiums.

Jacksonville's stadium is a dump too, but they won't even have a team in a few years so it probably won't be an issue...

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Deadskins are already looking at building a new stadium, even though the crappy on they're in now is only about 10 years old.

Mizzou, where would Jacksonville be looking to go? What makes you think they won't have a team?

5. boots

boots New Member

In the NFL:
    Cleveland - Not a great place to view a game.
    Oakland - Raider fan is dangerous but the stadium is just as bad.
    Miami - At one time it was the jewel of the league. Now, it's quickly becoming an eyesore.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree about Oakland. But their fans make me laugh more than any others. The zoo-like atmosphere makes up for the crappy Colosseum. Giants Stadium is a dump.

7. chester

chester Member

Let me get this right, Cleveland – which just built the Browns' new stadium in the late 1990s - needs a new stadium? You're joking, right?

8. boots

boots New Member

I didn't include the Giants because ground has been broken on a new facility.

9. boots

boots New Member

I don't like the stadium. Sorry.
    Browns fans are also something else, but the topic is stadiums.

10. chester

chester Member

Hey, if you're forking over the cash to build it, go right ahead.

11. boots

boots New Member

Chester, if I had that kind of cash lying around, there's a pretty good chance we wouldn't be having this conversation.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

There's one stadium that's an issue for both the NFL and college team -- San Diego Chargers and San Diego State.

Jack Murphy Stadium, er, Qualcomm Stadium has been a money loser, an eyesore and a city problem for years. Chargers have been looking at nearby cities to build a new one, but the cities won't be on board with the amount it'll cost to build. There's talk of even a new stadium on the current site, too.

San Diego State, meanwhile, is a football program that's dripping in red. It's Division I, but uses Qualcomm instead of having its own stadium on campus which won't be happening anytime soon. The program, coached by Chuck Long, was 3-9 last year and there's not much buzz about the program anyway. Makes me, a Cal State Fullerton alum who doesn't have a football team to root for in the fall, wonder if yet another California college will opt to drop football and focus more of its resources on basketball instead.

Draft saved Draft deleted