1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cities paying criminals not to kill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 31, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It wasn't long ago that I read in some economics blog that Gary Becker considered one his great failures to be his overestimation of the rationality of criminals. Kind of interesting to see this program in place, and being considered, given that.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a sociological question. Someone who is working within a different moral or ethical framework than you or I are is not doing the same internal cost / benefit analysis that we are. There is nothing irrational about their behavior. They are simply a product of a different set of circumstances than the majority of people who weigh those same costs and benefits and make a different set of decisions. Is a schizophrenic who commits a violent crime being irrational?

This is where economics unfairly gets a bad name. Most of economics itself is observation of pretty concrete things -- or at least theories that try to surround concrete phenomenon. When you mix sociology in -- for example, crap sociological experiments based on work like Beckers' -- you take it into a whole different realm. Unfortunately, though, economics gets a bad rap for it when it is really a sociology matter .

RickStain likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That -- the error in thinking that a cost/benefit approach was broadly in play vis-a-vis criminal behavior -- was his regret (at least as I read it).

Now, as I understand it, the really promising work focuses on impulsiveness ... There's nothing you can do about the true sociopath, the thinking goes, but fortunately there aren't that many of those.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, they should make sure the gas pedal works.

Draft saved Draft deleted