1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cities in movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The school was in Ninevah and it was torn down shortly after filming ended.

Is there a single movie that ever featured Indianapolis, aside from the Indy 500 movie Winning? I can't think of any.

Milwaukee is where Major League, parts of the Blues Brothers, and, ugh, Mr. 3000, were filmed. Milwaukee is far more prominent for TV shows for some reason.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To answer your Indianapolis question -- "Going All The Way," based on the Dan Wakefield novel. And other pre-Winning Indy 500 movies. That's pretty much it.

3. I've never seen any movie depict just how hot/humid/muggy/sticky (etc.) it can be in NYC during the Summer like "Do The Right Thing."

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Great pull. I still can't imagine it can be hotter and muggier in NYC than in Kansas the first week of August, but I feel their pain.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Body Heat did hot/humid/sticky better.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Kingpin was filmed in the Pittsburgh area. Same goes for this, uh, gem:

[​IMG]

Also, while visiting Punxsutawney for Groundhog Day, I discovered the film of the same name was shot in Illinois and not NW Pa.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Someone has obviously never seen Beverly Hills cop. The movie stars a cocky police detective named Axle Foley who works in Detroit. The movie opens in Detroit.

8. A don't forget about that crappy Bruce Willis movie. No, Not Hudon Hawk, the other one Striking Distance, where he was a Pittsburgh cop.

And ... And ... And ... Gung Ho!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Angel Heart in New Orleans.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I saw Ultimatum, not realizing part was set in Tangier. I was totally stunned to see something so close to "home" realistically portrayed. Coming from my piece of Morocco, that was well done, indeed.

Babel also did the Dirty South of Morocco well, but that movie sucked so badly I haven't re-watched it since I came here.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I know Toronto is the token lower filming cost stand-in for "big city USA." But, out of curiosity, has there ever been a movie filmed in Toronto that was also set there? I can't think of any.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Here's one I didn't know about until recently (I'm a recent arrival to the Inland Northwest, after all):

Dante's Peak, the Pierce Brosnan film about a volcano erupting near a small Pacific Northwest town. Parts of the movie were filmed in Wallace, Idaho.

Incidentally, there's still some mining going in Wallace. And there's also the Oasis Bordello Museum, for those of you who like quirky tourist attractions. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted