1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cities in movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am a bit of a sucker for movies that make good use of a real-life setting.

For example:

Chicago in Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Houston in Urban Cowboy and Bad News Bears II: Breaking Training (just kidding!)

Vienna in The Third Man

Of course, New York, LA and San Francisco are setting of many movies. Any others movies that you think captured a city, or at least a slice of it?

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You stole mine!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I modified. Go for it.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The American Pie movies (set in Michigan) always had some quirky things related to Michigan. I think the movie was set in Grand Rapids.

During one of the films there was a band competition. During the competition, the leader board was shown.

It had a bunch of made up school names that were knockoffs of Michigan Schools.

Wayne Memorial was Lloyd Memorial
    East Grand Rapids was East Great Falls and so on.

Anyway,

Beverly Hills Cop and 8 Mile (obviously) were set in Detroit as were a bunch of others. Too long to list for many cities I am sure.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Robocop seems like it was set in now present Detroit, as a matter of fact.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

For all its flaws, Benjamin Button made great use of New Orleans.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Ha! Well as you said in your original post, the Blues Brothers does a great job with Chicago. The final chase scene is phenomenal (even if there are a few things that aren't physically possible) and I believe that sequence is the basis for the Chicago race in Cruisn USA (how's that for useless trivia).

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I agree, I cannot think of a movie that pays a larger tribute to an area and a city than the Blues Brothers.

9. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Kevin Smith's movies in Jersey.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Grosse Point?

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Except that was just fake Michigan, the AP movies were actually filmed in the LA area. Not sure a film can "capture the essence of a place" if it's not actually filmed there or at least some place similar (which LA and Mich obviously are not). 8 Mile and Detroit works, though, that's a pretty good one.

Some others that pop in my head:

Scarface--early 80s Miami
    The Big Easy--New Orleans
    Fargo--Minnesota/Fargo
    Blues Brothers--Chicagoland
    Breaking Away--The IU campus/Bloomington
    Rudy--the Notre Dame campus
    In Bruges--Bruges (obviously)
    Lost in Translation--Tokyo

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Grosse Pointe was the home of Grosse Pointe Blank, obviously.

It had some filming for Gran Torino too, which IMO, was a great portrayal of Highland Park, possibly the worst city in Michigan.

Draft saved Draft deleted