1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Citi Field's shrinking act

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/01/sports/baseball/mets-to-alter-dimensions-of-citi-field.html?ref=sports

I would say this will make baseball watchable there, but the Mets will remain the home team.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I still think teams can get a lot of value of out of a park like that, but many who try it flinch in the face of their best hitters getting butthurt.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting now to keep track of how many balls fly over the short fence, but land in front, or hit the old fence. We'll see if that makes Wright and Bay better hitters, or if the old dimensions were just an excuse for declining skills.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I hate this. The field is the same for both teams who play. Quit whining. If you lose 5 HRs a year, guess what, so does the other team.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That's not entirely accurate, qt, since no other team plays 81 games a season there.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

True, but their pitchers benefit at home as much as their hitters suffer.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But trying to hit in that park can very much screw up your swing and/or attitude when hitting at other parks.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think he meant the 81 games against visiting teams in total. He's right, the ballpark dimensions are the same for both the Mets and whomever they play at home.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some how The Mets will find a way to screw this up. Odd are good that part of new fence will fall down before the season is out.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't see why this is a big deal. It's not a radical change and it's not like they're the first team to move the fences in.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It's probably more a matter of being able to attract free agent bats. Hitters need to feel like they have a fighting chance to reach certain numbers. Of course, what's the excuse for not attracting pitching?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Zactly. The Giants supposedly are looking at this for the same reason. Especially for guys taking shorter deals, they'll never choose a team like the Mets or Giants or Mariners if they can go somewhere else and have better numbers when they re-enter the market.

Draft saved Draft deleted