1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

citation question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by golfnut8924, Oct 6, 2009.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I'm sure you are all familiar with Sports Illustrated and the "They said it" quote they run in each issue. They do not cite the source of that quote (i.e. Chicago Tribune, USA Today, etc). Golf World also does this and they often run 5 or 6 quotes and also do not cite where they got those quotes from.

I'm compiling a list of some good quotes from our area high school coaches and athletes for publication and wanted to know if these all needed to be cited. Most of them are coming from newspapers in the area.

Thanks.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Ethically, you should say where you got the quote from.

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

That's my initial response as well. I'm wondering how SI gets away with not doing it. The only possible answer would be that all the quotes they use come from press conferences in which an SI writer is present. Same goes for Golf World and all the others that do it (I thought ESPN mag used to do this as well; might be mistaken on that one though).

4. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Doesnt newsweek do this (or used to? it's been quite a while since ive read it)? But I believe they follow it with something like 'Eli Manning said to The New York Times'

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yeah I know I've seen some publications that do this and cite them like you said. I figure I will do it just to be safe. But SI just says "Eli Manning on his three fumbles against the Eagles Sunday" or something like that. No mention of who he said it to. By not citing any source, it leads me to believe that all of those quotes are being said to an SI writer or a press conference with SI present (or maybe not even present?).

6. OK, so what do you do when people on your beat liberally steal your quotes when you know they weren't present at the press conference?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Are the quotes distributed via e-mail by the sports info office? When I was covering the ACC full-time, we got a LONG e-mail with all the PC quotes from early in the week.

8. Nope, not distributed at all. We're talking quotes collected solely by me, but then they magically appear in other newspapers, large and small. Am I right that that pisses me off, or is that the rules of internet journalism?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He won the 1948 triple crown. Next question.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Rule 1 of internet journalism: There are no rules.

Seriously, I wonder about stuff like this all the time. I would be stunned if SI collected all those quotes through its staffers and/or stringers. But if something is said at a press conference, is it not fair game? If I wasn't there but I use a quote that was said to a group of reporters in a news conference setting or postgame gang bang, I'll attribute it as ``Jones told reporters.'' But these days a large number of press conference quotes are on the web, either transcribed or available on video/audio clips on team web sites (or others). What is the proper way to use those?

As to your specific question, if you did a 1-on-1 interview and your quotes show up later without attribution, you've been hosed.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One on one interviews? Taped (I hope)? You use quotes and then they show up elsewhere?
    Yeah, you have a major right to be pissed. Go straight to your SE with all the documentation. Let him listen to the quotes, show him where you used them and where they are used by others who were not there. Let him deal with it from there.

Draft saved Draft deleted