1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Citation question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 0-fer, Mar 3, 2008.

1. 0-fer

0-fer Member

I was surfing the Web today and saw on a nearby paper's site that the football coach at a school just outside my area had taken a new job. It just so happened that I was writing a story about two other coaching changes from area teams in the same conference, and when coupled with the newest change and an older one it means half the conference will have a new coach.
    I'd like to make that the angle on my story about the other two coaches, but I don't know whether I need to cite the other paper. I feel like I should. Even if I make the calls and get it on my own, it still started with the other paper, right? So I should cite, right?
    I'm just a little confused. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you get it on your own by talking to the coaches or someone at the school, you don't owe the other paper diddly.

If you just go with it without confirming it in any way, you need to cite the newspaper -- but that would be a last resort when you can't get anyone/it's right on deadline/they have a lock-solid scoop, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted