1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Citadel the latest public school to spurn the First Amendment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 16, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So that'd be "nil." Got it. Thanks for your participation.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Take a parting gift for yourself. Knob.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Couple of years ago I guest-lectured at The Citadel during a campus visit/job interview there. The class I taught had about 15 students, with two women (both white, if I recall correctly) and two African-American men. In my close to 20 years in college/university classrooms, I've never taught a more engaged bunch. They asked good questions -- not a single "On the test ..." popped up -- and put the answers to use when I asked follow-up questions. Later, as my host took me around the campus, we peeked into other classrooms and I saw much the same thing. A couple of times cadets approached us to ask my host something or another about his classes, and I was struck by how different these encounters were from those I'd typically have at my gig.

As far as hazing goes, it is prohibited as a matter of policy, and the institution has emphasized this on an ongoing basis. Indeed, a couple of year ago freshmen were ordered to report instances of hazing even if they were the victims. Upperclassmen are routinely disciplined, sometimes severely, for violating this prohibition. This is also the case, I'm sure you know, at many institutions other than The Citadel.

I don't know what you're getting at with the "overt sexism." Sure, The Citadel accepted women long after the academies did. It's shameful that's the case. But if you think the academies have moved far ahead of The Citadel with respect to sexism, sexuality, etc., you're simply mis-informed.

I visited The Citadel with a tremendous amount of skepticism. I was drawn to the idea of living/working in the Charleston area, but not sure about how comfortable I would be at The Citadel. To say they sold me would be a tremendous understatement. I didn't take the gig -- it was offered, but for a couple of reasons we couldn't close the deal -- but the atmosphere at The Citadel wasn't why. In fact, the atmosphere at The Citadel was why I was willing to -- and did -- concede more in the negotiations than I set out to.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Richmond IMC: VMI Hazing Photos Surface

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Virginia Military Institute Admissions | First year. Rat year.

Because they are good students they don't haze each other? I have gone to many conferences at VMI and the respect shown to me by cadets is second to none. I am sure they are amazing students and very respectful to all adults, but I could also believe they haze the ever living fuck out of each other. They prepare each other for war. It's what they do, and this is how they do it. I'm also fine with that. You know going in that this is what you have coming.

People saying hazing does not happen at VMI, the Citadel, West Point, etc.. are just as out of touch as those who bitch about it when it happens.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A pro-hazing post.

Devil never ceases to amaze.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. 93Devil

So I have you down with VMI should get rid of the rat line?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

VMI should sue Devil for libel since he didn't write about the non-hazing aspects of VMI.

JC and LongTimeListener like this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I find you language skills to be as lacking as your logic.

Are you sure you made a living previously with words?

Anyway, yes, hazing should not be allowed. Please, try to make that a controversial statement.

9. 93Devil

And trolls make the thread about me. Great work.

It's what you do.

Dick, should VMI get rid of the rat line? Yes or no.

DQ, should VMI get rid of the rat line? Yes or no.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Challenging your endless, head-scratching proclamations isn't trolling and it isn't making the thread about you.

It's called "debate." You don't have a license to throw shit out into the universe without being challenged on it.

11. 93Devil

Yes or no.

12. 93Devil

Which side of the debate are you on?

Yes or no.

Draft saved Draft deleted