1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Circulation study: Digital up, print down

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Apr 28, 2021.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

At my former paper, the juco men's basketball team won national titles and was one of the winningest programs in the nation. The arena would sell out most games. Prominent local businessmen ran the booster club. But our preseason tab rarely had ads. "We just can't sell it," said the ad director.

When spring rolled around, the ad director decided we needed to do a tab for the juco's baseball and softball teams, even though most of their games drew 50-100 people. The thing was jammed with ads, and most of the ads wished the softball team well.

It should be noted that the ad director's daughter was the softball coach.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I think the hurdle to that is the printing plants generating revenue for one paper because it prints so many other regional papers that aren’t owned by the same company. Denver, for example, also prints regional Gannett papers. Gannett in Fayetteville prints our Raleigh paper. If you own the press, you want as many publications you can handle printing as often as possible so you can hike up fees. I think in order for that to work, you have to have a lot of papers owned by one company printing at one location. Which, I suppose, is becoming more common, especially since the Gannetthouse merger/acquisition.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

That is my point. The individual newspapers printed at a plant will over time merge into a single publication because it is more profitable to consolidate. In capitalism companies industries move to the most profitable solution.

And what I think will be a model is what happened when Raleigh bought Durham and basically made Durham a zoned edition.

4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted