1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Circulation makes a move up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Nov 12, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I work at a 10K twice-weekly and we just got a notice at our last staff meeting that circulation #s...get this...have gone up recently. I'm thinking it's an uptick from our recent mass circulation issue that goes out with a special deal for new subscribers...but hey, I'll take it. Been awhile since we've had encouraging news on that front.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't trust circulation numbers one bit unless there have been new homes and apartments built recently

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This happened about a year ago at my last shop. They made the announcement that circulation was up for the first time in six or eight quarters, but it turned out subscriptions were roughly the same. They increased the number of street boxes because they saw it as a good way to boost circulation to increase ad sales and get cheap advertising.

Your company controls its own circulation. Never forget that.

4. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

This may have to do with the changes in the way the ABC reports circulation. They've cautioned against comparing the most recent numbers to previous ones because the rules have changed.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/publish/Newspapers_24/Major-changes-in-newspaper-circ-tallies.asp

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Flex,

Great that circ looks positive. But what of advertising?

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

We haven't lost much lately either, and I sort of trust our circ director.

7. Illino

Illino Member

We just had a bit of good news, as well. On our advertising side, our manager just made the biggest sale of the year.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

A friend told me that his circulation director told a newspaper delivery team in need of plastic wrap on a Saturday: It's not my problem now.

Draft saved Draft deleted