1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Circuit City: Beginning of the end

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Nov 3, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's how things are for me; but at BB, not CC.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think I've said, "No, I'm good" about 54,291 times. I think I'm going to write it on my shirt the next time I go out.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Circuit City was the scene of some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

When I was still in school, I went to CC - this was a city that didn't have Best Buy at the time - to look for some affordable, yet decent, headphones. Walked around there for 10 minutes. No offer to help, nothing.

I went outside and decided to walk back in with a checkbook and pen in hand. When I went back to the same department, it took less than 30 seconds for the vultures - plural - to descend.

I walked outta there instantly. Told me everything I needed to know.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That's the way it always is there, for some reason the store is deserted, except for the Verizon dude at the front who harasses me even though I told him I already have Verizon and no I don't want a new phone.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I don't know about anywhere else but if you walk in my store I greet you. I don't harrass, I smile ... welcome you ... ask if you need any help ... and am genuinely glad to help you if you need it and smart enough to walk away if you say "just looking" or "I know what I'm looking for."

You can NEVER ask a customer enough if he/she needs any help. It's just good business to do that.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Speaking of which, does anyone yearn for the days of Media Play?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love how you say that after people have said they hate being attacked when they walk in the door.

You CAN ask enough. Once is enough. And when I say once, I don't mean once by every employee. You should have a greeter who says "Welcome to Circuit City, can I help you find anything?" And if the person says 'no, I'm good' and wanders off, then the people in each department should just be available for their questions. A "Hi, I'll be over here" from a row away is fine. Don't hover over me. Don't come over and make small talk about the memory cards I'm looking at. Leave me alone, and if I have a question, answer it.

The. End.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Better start looking before that. Most of the stores that are closing are going to start those sales tomorrow.

They were supposed to be completely closed today to get ready for the big sales, starting Wednesday.

Most stores are expected to shutter by Dec. 31, according to a couple published reports.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think goalmouth was talking about several store brands.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I was at a Best Buy once with two friends of mine, who are black, and the BB employees followed us around the entire store. It was really bad that they made it as obvious as they did.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Did they duck between the televisions, all the while pretending to watch another? Because, as we all know, that's what they'll go for first -- just before they shoot up the place and steal some wallets.

I can't believe people still profile customers like that (for race, age, class, looks) to prevent theft. Isn't that why stores have cameras and alarms?

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Apropos of nothing: I was proudly wearing my notorious pink polo one fine Saturday when I went to Best Buy. I don't know what it is about me, because I don't have any Best Buy blue shirts, but people always think I work there. Won't be happening this day, of course, because of the pink polo, right? Yeah, well, guess which day Best Buy chose to show their support for the fight against breast cancer? And guess how they chose to manifest it.

I think my future may be cast before me, and nothing I can do will stop it.

Draft saved Draft deleted