1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Circuit City: Beginning of the end

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I used to work there in HS. Got a great discount on my car stereo. And the pay was better than at other places my HS friends worked, like Target and the mall. But that was in the late 90s early 2000s, before everyone went to hourly pay and they went and became BB's fat ugly sister.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

One of us must live in some sort of bizarro land, because I won't go to Best Buy or Home Depot because the service is so terrible. If you can even find someone to help you at either place, they're close to worthless.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They're not worthless. They're worth minimum wage. Which is what you get.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You could, but you'd be wrong. Lowe's pwns Home Depot in every city I've ever lived in.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm confident that no one at the store reads this board so I can say this.

Some of you do know that I do work at The City. I've been there for less than a month and I work in tech sales. Nope, I don't know much of what some of the other people in the store know but I'm always helpful and am not afraid to say "I don't know" that way I get the answer my customer deserves.

We had a meeting Sunday morning about "the state of the business." Yes, things are scary right now and things are uncertain but there are people out there who will keep us open because they refuse to be shat on by Best Buy's outrageous prices and inglorious cocksuckery. Am I biased, no, not at all. I used to be a Best Buy snob. I'd only shop there because shit at the City was really bad when I'd go in there. Now I find it to be the other way around. I did a comparison shop right before I started with The City and I got shat on three times at Best Buy, while I was greeted warmly by people at The City.

I'd love to know where someone heard that Sony was stopping delivery to our stores because we're getting Sony products here no problem.

Yep, it's bad. It's bad everywhere. If anyone else has any further questions/concerns let me know. It's rumors and bad press that are partly responsible for the City being in trouble. If I can help dissolve any more of these I'm only helping the company for which I work for.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I went to Circuit City to check out satellite radios. Waited by the XM/Sirius booth for 25 minutes. Several employees walked by me. No one asked if I needed anything despite the fact I was giving all the telltale signs - looking at everything on the shelf, looking out for people ... nothing.
    I got to Best Buy and before I can step into their satellite section, an employee stops a conversation with a co-worker and asks what I'm looking for.
    And on XMas Eve, Best Buy has 24 DVDs by season for 20 bucks.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Serves them right for not hiring me in 1998 and 2000.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Home Depot is Lowe's, but with a layer of dust.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Well, Lowe's is easier on the eyes too. Too much damn orange at the Depot.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Maybe if CC employees had some customer service skills more people would shop there. Everytime I have been in there, no person ever approaches me to ask if I need help.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If they bombard me, yes. But I hate having to go chase someone down. Just stop by, let me know you're there, then let me be.

CC is the worst major brand store I've ever been in. Sorry, Tommy.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Last time I was in a CC, I couldn't find anyone at all. I don't know if they were all on lunch or a smoke break, but the place was empty.

Draft saved Draft deleted