1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Circling the Drain: Newspaper sitcom pilot-ette...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Dec 8, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...coming from Michael Eisner and some other Hollywood types...

http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/michael-eisner-enters-live-action-television-with-newspaper-comedy-presentation/

"Directed by Tucker Gates (Lost), stars Caprica alumna Alessandra Torresani as a 25-year-old reporter at the style section of a newspaper who loses her job and ends up on the obituary desk."

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Is that even reasonable? Or, there's an obituary desk?

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Mark sure you get those credit card numbers from the out-of-town funeral homes!

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

There's a style section?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There are still newspapers?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Writing obits is the worst job at a paper by a thousand miles. I'd rather clean toilets that won't flush in between taking prep agate and talking to angry prep parents than go anywhere near the obit desk.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Sounds sort of like a book I read once:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basket_Case_%28novel%29

Except the guy ends up solving a murder, but you know ...

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I think the problem is that a lot of what we find funny about working at a newspaper likely would be lost on the general public. For this show to have mass appeal, it would have to be character-driven (i.e. The Office or WKRP).

Otherwise, they'd be better off developing a "new" show about a lazy husband's weekly efforts to trick his nagging wife out of helping out around the house.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's like saying The Honeymooners proved the public wanted to see more shows about bus drivers.

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I can see the drama now.
    Will the story get a second read? Will the lead quote be moved up? Will the nutgraph be fact-checked?
    Of course, hilarity ensues when we learn that the fact-checker was laid off years ago, it didn't even get a first read because the copy editors are on furlough and the paginator in the regional design center was too burnt-out to even backread the story before putting it on the page.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

C'mon now ... the late-night jokes of the copy desk, the nerdy classic rock references throughout the newsroom, the running gag of everyone yelling "FUCK!" when the phone rings ...

That's comedy gold!

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, I miss the hell out of a real live newsroom.

Not that I don't love my job. I do. But it's 10-6 in the office, and I'm sitting around marketing folks and webmasters. It's not quite the same vibe.

Draft saved Draft deleted