1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cingular

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Feb 18, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Has anyone ever had this problem?

I was really sick Friday so I kept my phone on silent. When I looked at it later, I had three missed calls from a 1-800 number, but no messages. I figured if I needed to call somone back, they would have left a message. I had no idea what the 1-800 number was until today.

Fast forward to today. I turn on my phone (which I didn't use yesterday because I was still sick), try to make a call, and it says "the number you are trying to call is not permitted from this line. For more information, call 611" so I get online thinking maybe my last payment didn't go through because I'm not even out of my grace period for the current payment. I see that my mobile has been suspended and it shows that my last payment is late (by 3 days but still not out of the grace period) so I pay it, and it still says my mobile is suspended. I try to call customer service from my phone and they're closed. I can't figure out what's wrong. I goggle the 1-800 number I had on my phone and it was the cingular customer service number.

I have NO idea why my mobile is suspended and of course, I can't get it fixed until at least 7 a.m. tomorrow morning. I would think if something was important enough for me to need to call them back, they would have left a message. Since they didn't, I figured it was telemarketing or something from one of the many wedding sites I've signed up for (I've gotten about 5 wedding calls a day since I signed up for some of them). Has this happened to anyone? Can anyone give me any clue why my phone is suspended? Also, should I be asking them to give me two days worth of credit since I was unable to use my phone for 2 days and I don't have a balance on my bill?

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I've never had that happen, but Cingular is another word for Satan. When my contract ends, I'm changing providers. Their customer service over the years has been nothing but rude and short with me. They don't ever try to help the situation out at all. They won't make any deals, or bend to help a customer out.

And don't get me started on dropped calls. Happens several times a day, and a lot from my apartment. And I'm not the only I know who has this problem.

I won't get out of my contract because I refuse to pay them the "break the contract" money. It's like blood money. I hope Cingular dies a quick, painful death.

3. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

My dad's had a ton of problems with Cingular with a lot of the stuff you've described, spup. His phone doesn't even work now and I'm more than willing to bet that something like this was the reason why.

Unfortnately, it's midnight, so I can't call to find out what he did to help you out. But I think it might be a somewhat common and unfortunate problem.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I was lucky not to have any serious problems like the ones described here in my two years with Cingular, but the moment I didn't have to carry their sorry asses, they were gone. Signal in a decent-sized East Coast city was pure shit. Service was mediocre, and the rollover minutes (which is what attracted me to them in the first place) went unused.

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

My feeling is that Cingular is run by evil faceless ifrits indwelt by Lucifer himself. But far worse are the employees at Cingular outlets, most of whom appear to be the adult equivalent of retarded kids hitting pots and pans with wooden sticks.

These merry dipshits work around phones. They work for a company that makes phones, they all own phones themselves and they work in a store in which they are literally surrounded by phones from opening to lock-up. But yet, I have met paper bags blowing down the street that know more about phones than these first-vintage assfaces.

Oh, they know how to sell phones, but they don't know cell phones. Whenever I have a problem with my phone - such a piece of shit that I may as well use it as a buttplug rather than a personal communications device - I can't get a single answer out of the Cingular store in my neighborhood.

"Hey, my phone makes calls, but doesn't receive them."
    "Sorry, I'm not qualified to answer that."
    "Excuse me, but I woke up this morning and found that the LCD display was no longer working."
    "I'm sorry, I'm not qualified to answer that."
    "Help me, I've been shot in both my kneecaps."
    "I'm sorry, I'm not qualified to answer that."

Not only am I not going to renew my contract with Cingular, I am going to send every Cingular outlet in the country a box of my own fecal matter as an expression of gratitude for two years of outstanding customer service.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Someone suggested I use the words Attorney General in writing to them and on the phone. Apparently it gets a person the information they need.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

SBC is my real satan, which makes Cingular also satan for me since they're the same company essentially.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm with Rasputin...3+ years and never a Cingular problem.

9. melock

melock Active Member

Dude get out of the contract. Think about it. You have to pay your monthly bills right? If you have more than four months left (if you're bill is about $50 a month like mine) just pay the $200 out fee and leave Cingular. They do suck ass. End this chapter of your life and move on. Just my advice. I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing.

10. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Cingular sucks ass. I was fortunate in that, since my contract was considered a business one (because the company I worked for was on some sort of preferred list of Cingular's), I was able to get out early. I had a two-year personal contract, but I found out that they weren't allowed to have contracts of more than one year for those using the business benefit Cingular offered.

So I got out after 14 months of pure shit service, pretty much right after they initially took over AT&T (which I guess has now taken the naming rights back). I've been with T-Mobile for more than a year, and it's been excellent, by comparison. I understand a lot of this is hit-and-miss, which is why some of those above state their experience has been fine. But I'd never recommend Cingular.

The service itself bites, the customer service bites. There's just nothing good to say here, in my experience.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I despise Cingular. I used to love Sprint, even while others on here were shredding them. Then Sprint's customer service went to shit for three months straight and my phone fell apart, so I went to Cingular.

Now I just drop probably two calls a day, can't get service in most press boxes/media centers and pay about $90 a month.

Fuckabuncha.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let me know when you're ready to come back to sprint, so I can recommend you and get a credit on my Sprint account!

Draft saved Draft deleted