1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cindy Sheehan throws in the towel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 29, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is that true -- did more people vote for the American Idol than in the 2006 elections?

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Not true. In the 2006 elections, 76,228,938 votes were cast.

"Only" 34.9 million people watched the American Idol finale... So I'm assuming even if more votes than that were cast, that people were calling multiple times.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He called Bush the Devil and a terrorist.

And he is correct.

Are you disputing that?

4. Simon_Cowbell

You don't know JackShit.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Yes, I am.

Are you an idiot?
    Yes, no disputing that.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Can't help you if you think that non-Americans can't REASONABLY term Bush a terrorist.

You are lost, my friend.

7. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Who paid Sheehan's way around the globe, anyway?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Which conveniently leaves out the Devil part there, Si.

9. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Then I guess I'm a bit lost. Dumb--yes. Warmonger--yes. Short sighted and ignorant--yes. Worst president in U.S. history--a legitimate case can be made. But Terrorist --seems inaccurate and over the top to me. Words are important, we should endeavor to use the appropriate ones.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Simon, you need to go look up the word terrorist.
    Then get back to us with your over-the-top rhetoric.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Perhaps.

But more than 2 million Iraqis have FLED their country since March 2003.

Let that sink in for a minute.

FLED a country that we were supposedly trying to "liberate."

Think about it.

As horrible as Saddam's rule was . . . just imagine how much worse people's lives must be for 10 PERCENT OF THE COUNTRY (think 30 million Americans) to flee their country.

A story in today's New York Times reported how 1.2 million of the Iraqi refugees are in Syria, many unable to get jobs and working as prostitutes (a repulsive act they would never have thought possible four years ago). This refugee crisis, of course, also is placing a monster burden on Syria, which doesn't have the employment nor the infrastructure to handle a 15 PERCENT INCREASE IN THEIR POPULATION IN FOUR YEARS.

Meanwhile, you bitch and moan about the illegal aliens who comprise only a 4 PERCENT gain to the U.S. population . . . over a period of decades.

How would you feel if somebody caused, say, 45 million refugees (15 percent of the U.S. population) to come onto our shores in a four-year period?

Put all that together, step away from your role as "American" and ask yourselves this question from the viewpoint of someone on the other side of the world: Has any terrorist in your lifetime done more damage --- on a humanitarian and international scale --- than the damage caused by the ONE PERSON who chose to invade Iraq?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He must not be related to anyone in the TV station he's shutting down.

Draft saved Draft deleted