1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cindy Sheehan throws in the towel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 29, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If she supported the war effort, she never would have taken as much shit as she has. Anyone who dares speak out against what this administration is doing gets this sort of treatment.
    If the "Jersey Girls" just shut up and realized the war was being fought in their husbands' honor, Ann Coulter never would have said what she said.
    It's also a fucked up situation when war veterans like Jack Murtha, Max Cleland and others can be called cowards and have their patriotism questioned by people who found ways to get out of serving in that same war.
    I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the Tillman family gets the same treatment.

2. KG

KG Active Member

I think she got better press because whether or not anyone really wanted to hear what she had to say, she's the one who spoke the loudest.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I disagree with that -- plenty of people are protesting the war. As some people have said -- some times it is a matter of how you say or go about doing things.

4. And I think most of the people who worry about the politesse of addressing a reckless, heedless, unlistening bunch of incompetents, instead of screaming themselves, are missing the point.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

For anyone to write this only shows their inability to comprehend the term "poster-lady".

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gotta go with Guy_I on this one.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK. Clearly poster lady was the wrong term. But for the right to always claim she was the face of the left and anti-war movement was narrow-sighted. That was my point.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Reading this makes me more amazed at how Americans in the 40's held back their personal spending and rationed goods for the war effort. Do you think Americans have the humility nowadays to do such?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, I still see a lot of SUV's and Hummers rolling around on the highways, so, no...

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Any nation - including this one - is capable of collective sacrifice. That sacrifice must be explicitly asked for, however, by the nation's leaders - and the reasons for that sacrifice adequately and honestly explained.

11. Don't bother sending your resume to the White House until at least 2009.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People don't sacrifice for their leaders. They sacrifice for a cause they believe in. Pearl Harbor united America, not FDR explaining its significance.

Draft saved Draft deleted