1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cindy Sheehan throws in the towel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 29, 2007.

1. If you don't think her vigil in Crawford that summer didn't help galvanize opposition to the war, you're fooling yourself. Time and events? Yes, her vigil was one of the events.
    And zag -- there is no exit strategy because this president, showing the moral fortitude he's shown throughout his adult life, is going to stay there until he leaves office, thereby kicking his disaster down the road to the next guy.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't know, I have a hard time believing he can keep this charade going until Jan. 2009. That is a long time -- but I will say this -- the longer it drags out -- the more apathy this issue will receive from John Q. Public and that could work in his favor.

I would think, however, if he cared about his legacy he'd find a nice, clean way to get out and clean up the mess so someone looking back at it a few years removed from it might find some redeeming qualities about it

3. KG

KG Active Member

But do you think after the next election (you know we'll have a Dem president) any of this will change? Do you think he/she will really change anything about how Americans view what's going on overseas? Will he/she really give a damn enough about the environment as they all seem to preach now to do something about it? And what about foreign oil? Will he/she try to wean us off it (God I hope so)?

Those are just some things I've thought of lately. I could be totally wrong, but I feel like most of the things being said now are just being said because they are easy anti-Bushisms and will go to the wayside once elected.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

The idea of George Bush "caring about his legacy" is about as laughable as seeing my nuts bound with meat twine.

5. JackS

JackS Member

I meant events in Iraq. Sheehan influenced no one.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The main problem with this war in Iraq was that we started it at all. Now we just need to find a way to end it.

And I am not talking about the president preaching tree hugging and stuff. I think -- if you were so inclined -- you could easily sell energy conservation/alternative energy as national security.

We don't want those middle eastern countries to have the power to raise our prices hold us hostage, etc. Demand higher mileage cars, alternative fuels, etc. Appeal to the country's patriotism.

That's easy, unless of course you are beholden to the oil companies or something.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the will of the American people is what is turning the tide, though.

8. zagoshe

Here is my question -- is it really that easy of a connect the dots for someone to make regarding gas prices -- oil -- and Iraq and do so in a way that the average American can understand it and thus become outraged about it enough to force action?

Some days I think yes, most days I think no.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So a bunch of sheiks go in a room and decide how many billions they want to make off hard-working Americans and you couldn't sell that to the American people?

The only reason people aren't foaming at the mouth is that the oil companies are getting rich, too, and have their claws deep into the politicians.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Cindy Sheehan was just one face in a crowd of many on both sides of this debate. For anyone to call her the "poster lady" of the anti-war movement only shows their inability to see beyond news clips and sound bites. There were plenty of people who were against the war, and said so loudly, from the beginning. Cindy Sheehan just got better press than most. But she should never be thought of as representative of everyone in the anti-war movement.

11. zagoshe

I guess what I am saying is -- the price of gas seems to be one of these things that people just take the attitude "it is what it is" and fill up their cars. There should be outrage, there should be a backlash -- I just don't see it.

12. KG

KG Active Member

I've studied and written enough about alternative fuels that it makes me sick to think about the fact that we aren't using them. It took the strong influence of a pot-smoking country boy (Willie Nelson) to get it rolling in diesel, so what will it take to get it going in gasoline?

I don't care who the president is, the dollar sign is bigger when it's foreign oil and that's all that really seems to matter. It's sickening that some of the very oil we depend on comes from our enemies.

Draft saved Draft deleted