1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cindy Sheehan throws in the towel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 29, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/28/sheehan/index.html

This is probably another thread that won't end well.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The most telling/poignant passage:

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I keep thinking about the Bugs Bunny cartoon that ends "Meeehhh, could it be that I carried this thing too far?"

I do agree with Smallpotatoes, though... duck, because this likely has a bloody ending.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

You know what's really scary, this statement is 100% true:

"Casey died for a country which cares more about who will be the next American Idol than how many people will be killed in the next few months while Democrats and Republicans play politics with human lives."

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I feel horrible for her loss.

Sad to say, this is a decision that is long overdue. I always got the impression I was watching someone have a nervous breakdown over the course of two years. She did her cause no favors. I hope she can finally get the help she needs.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

PC and Spnited pretty much said everything I could.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I agree with PC as well ...
    I admire her intentions and her sincerity but the way she went about it ...

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

What about "the way she went about it" do you object?
    What are your suggestions at to how should she have proceeded differently?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think her camp out at the ranch in Crawford was a great thing... I think as time went on, she seemed to be becoming to shrill and no longer making her points as well as she had earlier.
    As PC said, it became like watching someone have a nervous brakdown over the course of the two years.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I believe she channeled her grief into an obsessive need to get out her message whenever and however possible. And I totally understand how that could easily happen.

The down side to that is, she came across as a media whore who enjoyed the attention way too much. Frankly, she just looked crazy after a while. If there is an afterlife and her son was able to watch the last couple of years, I have to think he never stopped wincing.

For a while she was the face of the anti-war movement, and that face easily became a punch line.

Again, I found and continue to find the whole thing incredibly sad. It cost her her marriage and virtually any other shred of her former life. The ultimate result of her work was, in my view, to de-legitimize the anti-war effort in the eyes of many. She was anti-war before it was mainstream to express it, but I think her approach delayed the process far more than it helped it to grow.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I agree with most of that, PC.

I wonder who would come of looking good, though...

I hope she fins some measure of peace.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Concur.

Draft saved Draft deleted