1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cindy Sheehan determined to do an Icarus impersonation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Norrin Radd, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Fly too close to the sun, and those wings will melt.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070708/ap_on_el_ho/cindy_sheehan_pelosi

Seems overly ambitious on her part. Many would say they will vote for her . . . but will enough San Francisco voters oust the Speaker of the House for an activist who is proposing something that may be politically reckless?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hell, it's California.

You know who the Governator is there.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I see her effort to leave the public spotlight is going well.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm generally sympathetic to Sheehan, but this makes no sense. Surely there's some vulnerable conservative she can go after.

5. skippy05

skippy05 Member

I'm sure the youth vote will pledge their support; they've been so effective in the past...

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

That this thread was not started by Hondo ranks as the greatest SportsJournalists.com upset in months.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

But give him and Yawn a chance. They'll be here villifying Sheehan soon and then ....

This will not end well!

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A. I have a life.

B. You can't make this stuff up.

C. Classic case of radicals not knowing who their friends are. I suppose she'll be throwing her vote away in 2008 on Ralph Nader.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Shouldn't Cindy Sheehan be in an Old Navy commercial by now?

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'm glad Sheehan is doing this, if only because she's positioning herself clearly to the left of the Democratic mainstream (especially by running against Pelosi). I always found her annoying and naive, and a poor spokesperson for the anti-war movement. Enjoy life on the fringe, Cindy.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Dooley, going after a lame-duck conservative isn't going to make your day. Neither is chasing after Pelosi because she hasn't acted quick enough (in Sheehan's mind) to knock W out. Impeachment isn't going to happen. Think about this: the sumbitch is a lame-duck anyway. He can't run again, we're not even patience enough to let the little man play emperor until January 2008. War Games will end on Inauguration Day, just book it.

From my POV (which is one person's take), they are activists in both respective parties who feel that they can't wait for things to take fruition when it comes to legislation and not being rash. In the case of Sheehan, she doesn't want to be patience to see major things to happen with respects to the issue concerning Iraq. The reality is that there are procedures in Congress, bills, committee votes, debates, and voting, everyone is not going to get what they want immediately. The first round was shot down, the second round is starting to take shape once all of them get back into town Monday.

If Sheehan has a beef about it, then (I have to be the asshole here) she shouldn't have given up her fight. She got 1/2 of what she wanted by having the Dems in control. She should have stayed on them to keep the agenda they have said they would pursue. What Cindy has blindly learned (the hard way, in which most of us know too well), once you get to Washington, it's fuck the promises and what the voters had hoped for. It's the ultimate ego trip, particulary for Pelosi and Reid.

They would never have been reelected so many times not to finally see the day that they can run the zoo.

Politics is a game that all of us detest, but if we want to survive in that environment, how many of us are willing to compromise everything we have done and believe in to stay there? I don't have the ego to do that. To add, just because the Dems are in control, that doesn't mean that things will change before the Little Man leaves. They have as big of an ego as the Republicans. That's not an opinion, as Bob Coastas would say, it is a fact.

Sheehan will be in the same boat with those who started calling bullshit with those they supported and face the risk of getting smoked or being destroyed in public. That's the sad part. And those young voters are pulling for rock stars, not independents. Obama is the rock star, Sheehan is an also-ran in their eyes.

Now you see how fast someone can be an after-thought in this American society of instant gratification and the next big thing?

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Oh, that Icarus. I thought you meant the satellite-laser weapon from "Die Another Day." That thing rocked like no satellite-laser weapon since "Real Genius"!

Draft saved Draft deleted