1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincy Enquirer to shrink (literally) next year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Dec 20, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The paper is moving in Fall 2012 to "a more compact and easy to handle size" according to the Gannett overlords:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/156745/enquirer-to-eliminate-200-jobs-as-plant-closes-printing-outsourced-to-columbus/#more-156745

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

They spent millions on new printing presses around 2004. Guessing that was an investment that didn't pan out.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A paper here drastically cut down the size of its pages a couple years ago to the point that now it's not much more than a tab. When I first saw it, my impression was it looked like a little toy newspaper. Very sad.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is this the dreaded Berliner format? Gannett has done it with several papers already.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I love how they took a current A1 and just smashed it down to fit in the new, smaller format. That's a great way to instill reader confidence in the new size ... the pic makes the people look like they're in a funhouse mirror.

Of course, we all know this means way less news on A1 and in the rest of the paper.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To be fair, Coco, that looks like just a Poynter thing. Hopefully it will sold just a bit better by the Enquirer to its readers. Or maybe they'll just go to their driveway one morning and find a smaller paper, with an explainer box on 1A.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

What they should do ... and maybe will ... is use A1 as a magazine-style cover, with main art promoting some sort of multi-page feature story inside.

If the front page is roughly the size of a legal-size piece of paper, not much room to do more than that and a bunch of promos.

8. accguy

accguy Member

What sense does it make to have the paper printed two hours away? There are southern parts of the Enquirer's circulation area that will be three hours from where the newspaper is printed.

How is this a good idea? And what will happen with deadlines?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outsourcing is cheaper. Deadlines be damned. And god help the paper when there's a snow or ice storm.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is there any chance of even a late prep score making the next day's edition? At what point does the Enquirer stop writing game stories and just run features from Tuesday through Saturday with the exception of occasional weekday day baseball game?

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And as I understand it (though this is second-hand knowledge), the (rebranded) Kentucky Enquirer is usually put together after the city/Ohio paper.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It's been our publisher's intent to do this with our papers for at least three years. She put it off for at least a year and a half because she didn't want to impose redesigning the entire paper on me while I was interim managing editor/sports editor simultaneously.

Then it was supposed to happen in August. Now it's supposed to happen with our first paper of the new year (Our Jan. 3 edition). I've been on vacation since the 20th and haven't seen anything about what this new format involves. And the guy who was supposed to be redesigning our paper quit effective last Friday.

So I'm betting when I go in to work in the second, we'll still be doing things the old way because plans got derailed yet again. If not, I'll have no idea how many pages I'll need that night because I have no idea what 1 page of stuff in the old format = x pages of stuff in the new format. And I'll have a full slate of games and photos. Yay.

Draft saved Draft deleted