1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincy Enquirer sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by clutchcargo, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Anyone know how many writers and assistants Louisville has?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Separate thread about that.

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Indy ASE/Colts editor. It has its own thread.
    I know people at Cincy, Indy and Louisville. All three are Gannett. Nothing official on how Louisville will handle Harry's departure, but here's how I would rank the jobs. I think all three are great opportunities.

Louisville SE (or ASE if they promote current ASE) -- Focus clearly is on colleges with a heavy dose of horse racing. Not a lot of variety, but with UK, Louisville and Indiana, it could be great place for a college basketball guy. They write about hoops year-round. Last time I checked, they had their own recruiting reporter.

Indy ASE -- Biggest paper in the group, generally considered better than the other two. Indy does a weekly Colts section, so that's your opportunity to have fun. With cuts and a bad team, no idea if they're still going to do it.

Cincy SE -- Know going in it will be the most difficult. More work than people to handle it, but there aren't many opportunities to lead a section in a two pro team market. I've seen a couple of pretty good Reds special sections. If you had more help, I'd move this one to the top, but the sense is you're always overwhelmed.

4. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I don't know the Courier-Journal deskers and assistant sports editors, but here's their main sports reporting staff (I apologize if I left out somebody):

Rick Bozich, Columnist
    C.L. Brown, University of Louisville
    Eric Crawford, Columnist
    Jody Demling, Recruiting/Golf/Former Preps Guy
    Jason Frakes, Kentucky High Schools
    Michael Grant, Louisville Bats baseball/Sports GA
    Jennie Rees, Horse Racing
    Kyle Tucker, Univesity of Kentucky
    *Bob White, Preps Stringer (former full-time preps guy, retired)
    *Justin Sokeland, Indiana High Schools?
    *Gary Garth, Outdoors
    *J.J. Hysell, Preps Stringer

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Let's get this straight, Gannett Company: Your newspaper with two top-level pro sports teams and two major colleges in the city itself has seven writers, and your newspapers with zero top-level pro sports teams and one major college in the city has eight.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Both papers have two main beats. I'm stunned Louisville still has a second columnist.

Cindy definitely seems like it is down to a skeleton crew. That doesn't appear to be the case as much in Louisville.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not arguing with you, but it's a tough head-to-head comparison. UK isn't "in the city" of course but the interest is so ginormous it's hard to argue a writer. And horse racing in Louisville basically is pro sports, of course.

But the two columnists is definitely a surprise, looking at the many other places today that just have one.

8. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I have a friend who worked in Cincy and Indy, and he used to say his big fear was that Gannett might think everybody can do it with as few people as Cincy -- and cut people/space/travel accordingly.

As for UK basketball ... it's the most important beat in that state, no matter what your masthead says.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Not sure if the C-J sports staff was hit, but this isn't good news according to Eric Crawford's facebook post: "Today at The Courier-Journal, we said goodbye to 26 veteran employees, 15 of whom had 35 years or more of service at the paper, five of those with 40 or more. Today, we lost a combined 890 years of experience at the same newspaper."

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Jesus that's depressing.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, but all the good years were probably used up. Seriously...some people just need to retire (and no, I'm not referencing the people at this paper per se...just making a blanket statement).

12. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

The C-J lost Sports Editor Harry Bryan and copy editor Roy Walter in Sports. About 16 more people in the newsroom.

To be honest, no one is sure how it's all going to work yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted