1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincy Enquirer sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by clutchcargo, Apr 4, 2012.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Supervises 7 reporters, one columnist and two ASE's:

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=QHTCM0D&APath=2.21.0.0.0&job_did=JHS66V6STDFW8RY8HSN

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'll get the dipshit question out of the way:

Is this an entry-level position?

Ok, now...proceed.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Stop with this shit. Everybody. I mean it. Not funny. Next time I see it will not be a happy time for someone.

4. Moderator1

and I'm not trying to hammer spike specifically, though that is what it looks like here. For that I apologize - it has been done numerous times to the point where it is way more annoying than funny.

So my message to everyone remains: Stop.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But it's 15 minutes from ...

But seriously. Seven reporters? That is downright embarrassing.

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Cincy does more with less than just about everybody, and it does it pretty well.
    Doc is tremendous.

7. Moderator1

That's what I have - less one ASE and plus one web editor. We don't do preps. Do they do preps (yes, I haven't been to the site in a while, sorry)? I assume it is a universal desk?

What we're learning, though not always following, is you have to accept your limitations. You simply cannot do all you'd like to do with a staff that size. So you kick ass on what you can do and take a deep breath about some things you'd like to do but just can't.

If we wanted to add prep coverage in an area our size, I'd need 3-4 more full-timers and an array of part-timers. If someone can cover a major sports town, plus preps, with a staff that size my cap is tipped and I am bowed in their general direction.

8. Moderator1

Check that, my seven includes a columnist - so it is six reporters and a columnist. We do have one excellent contract columnist I'd like to make full-time as soon as possible and I have several freelancers I use regularly. I hope Cincinnati has the ability to do that, too.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

They cover preps. Moeller and St. X are big time programs.
    I've only seen the print product a couple of times, on "event" days when NFL and MLB overlap, but I thought it was an impressive combination of beat reporting and enterprise. Especially considering the staffing limitations.
    If APSE were judged by staff size, Cincy would be a player.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They don't have an NBA or NHL team, which has to help some. But college basketball season, especially March, must be a major challenge for 'em. That's when at least one of the seven is at spring training.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's Gannett, what do you expect?

12. That's five more than I've got. I can only fantasize about having a staff that large, even if it means I'd have more pro/college teams to worry about in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted