1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati, you're on the clock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Jul 22, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've been pulled over for all kinds of infractions of that nature. It's mostly stopped since I got rid of my piece of shit car with no bumper, and a missing side view mirror, and haven't let my tags expire.

I'm not sure what you think the alternative is?

The cops are looking for an excuse to pull people over. It's true. They can't make random stops. They can't "stop and frisk". So, if you're driving a car with a missing plate, expired tags, etc., in a high crime area, they are going to pull you over.

Now, I don't know much about the University of Cincinnati Police department, but it doesn't sound like he was action out of bounds:

Jason Goodrich, public safety director and police chief at the University of Cincinnati, said a mutual aid agreement allows university officers to function as officers outside campus grounds.

It sounds like a very similar arrangement to what the University of Chicago Police have with the CPD:

With more than 100 full-time officers, the University of Chicago’s police department is one of the largest private police forces anywhere. Not only that, UCPD also has a really big patrol area — they cover 6.5 square miles, most of which is beyond the core of the University of Chicago's South Side campus.

But why can UCPD officers patrol so far from campus in the mid-South Side? According to Craig Futterman, a clinical professor of law at University of Chicago Law School, the department’s status is almost unique.

“The deal is that there is a city ordinance in Chicago that grants the police superintendent the power to appoint special policemen for the city of Chicago,” he explained.

This ordinance allows private police forces to assume the powers and responsibilities of municipal police, not just on campus but in surrounding neighborhoods. UCPD is only one of two private forces in Chicago with this “special police” designation. The other force is that of Northwestern University Law School, but its patrol area extends just a few blocks beyond its Streeterville campus north of Chicago’s Loop.

Once the ordinance was passed in 1992, UCPD negotiated its extended jurisdiction with Chicago’s police superintendent. To the north, University of Chicago’s main campus stops at 55th Street. UCPD’s jurisdiction, however, extends all the way to 37th Street, even farther than Jef Johnson’s home in Bronzeville.

Curious City: Why campus police are often way more than rent-a-cops, especially at the University of Chicago | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you're white, you can, say, kill nine people in a church and the cops will still buy you lunch at Burger King before taking you to jail.

Or, say, kill a suspect already in custody and be allowed to take a Caribbean vacation before having to stand trial for it.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

I'll take social media memes for $100 Alex.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have been driving in Ohio for five years without a front license plate. How are cops going to notice unless they are looking for a reason to pull you over?

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting those things didn't actually happen?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't blame the cops. Perhaps they though the young man might starve if he missed lunch and then they'd be screwed.

Or maybe they forgot to put fresh batteries in the tape recorder and were bribing him to repeat his confession.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The lawsuit settlement will take care of that.

8. YankeeFan

This dude wasn't just "gentle", he was “frail” and “weak" and it would have been impossible for him to harm anyone:

A University of Cincinnati police officer just shot an apparently unarmed man who has been described by friends and family as “frail” and “weak.” Sam Dubose, 43, suffered from a physical illness that made it impossible for him to harm anyone, let alone the police officer who gunned him down at a traffic stop.
    “We were so concerned about him being sick,” Homas explained. “Sam has been sick for a while. He did not have no fight in him. Nothing. He was just so weak. To take his life – his life was – I mean he was very fragile.”

University of Cincinnati Police Shoot ‘Frail’ and ‘Weak’ Unarmed Man During Traffic Stop

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

13 kids and 60 arrests. Jesus fucking christ.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If you're a police officer who is discharging your weapon as you fall to the ground on a public street, I think there is some danger in play - and not just to the fleeing suspect. Frankly, I'm skeptical that the officer's marksmanship is that good.

There's no question that police departments nationwide have adopted an unwritten policy that it's within protocol for officers to fire their weapons at fleeing suspects, even when that suspect presents no immediate known threat to the public. The idea that running from the police, or disobeying a police order, is a violation of law punishable by immediate execution should not be acceptable to us as a nation founded upon principles of due process.

As for your example of the escaped convict, the officer probably should not have shot him. He knew the suspect's location. He could have radioed for backup, they could have set up a perimeter, called out the helicopters and the dogs and the chase would have been short. It's time police departments begin focusing on the apprehension of suspects instead of the execution.

Ace likes this.
  11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Digital projector to watch a movie still in theaters that was downloaded from the Internet. Hope they downloaded a SCR version instead of a CAM.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He wasn't strong enough to use a condom. Takes a lot of physical effort to put one on, you know.

Draft saved Draft deleted