1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Post says -30-

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ctr, Dec 31, 2007.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Any word on where some of the ex-Posters are landing jobs at? There's a guy there who I crossed paths with at a gig a few years ago, and he always did an outstanding job. I hope those guys find gigs soon.

2. If Skyline Chili goes broke, we know the apocalypse is nigh.

3. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I'm sure it will cost them some subscribers.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thanks for setting that straight. Still, my point is that they got less than 24 hours' notice. Shitty way to do business.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Wait a minute. How can the paper lose readers if... Ohhhhhhhh.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

According to Poz's blog Sarge was Skinny and/or Gambo.

7. ctr

ctr New Member

Peterson was the original "Sarge" -- but "Sarge" has become part of the Cincinnati scribe lingo. Peterson, reportedly, wore fatigues and I think it was Pete Rose that tagged him with "Sarge," according to legend. That was picked up by Gambo and Skinny, as well as Jack Brennan. In the Bengals press box, just about everyone is "Sarge." This city has a weird sports lingo -- also, Chief, Bean, pops, tome, ruminate, fodder, allow, vindicated and then there's the whistling gag. It's unreal. It's part of what makes it a special scene. Never seen -- or heard -- anything like it before.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Thanks for the clarification and cool backstory.

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

John Donovan also calls everyone "Sarge" to this day.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Bill Peterson was the author of the story I posted. Only he could reference Heraclitus in a Kentucky basketball story.

Bill is a very skilled writer who is as interesting to talk to as he is to read.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

You know what makes me sick?!?! Youn know what makes me angry?!?!?!

I think he's still going to do that through syndication. God, I feel old. I remember listening to him when I was a kid in Louisville.

Draft saved Draft deleted