1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Post says -30-

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ctr, Dec 31, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Someone pointed this out to me the other day: In the last six weeks, Joe Nuxhall died, Gary Burbank retired and the Post closed shop. Cincinnatians will know what a trifecta that is.

2. I guess I never thought about that. Indeed, not a good way for that city's year to end.

Does this mean Earl Pitts retired, too?

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Everyone at the Post was called Sarge. Bill Peterson was known to wax poetic like this, but I believe Janet Graham was the UK writer in 1997.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Couldn't have been 1997...Eddie Sutton wasn't the coach. Maybe 1987.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hey at least the folks at the Post knew it was coming, and when. Two years ago, the staff of the Birmingham Post-Herald was told on a Friday morning that there would be no Saturday paper ...

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, as Gary goes, so does Earl :(

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Good call, probably '87 (Winston Bennett's last season was '87-88). And Bill Peterson, I guess, was the original Sarge (and quite a character and, of course, a real good guy).

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I know it was a much different time, but the Toronto Telegram also said "30" when it folded in 1971.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And we thought Double J had said -30-. Welcome back.

And Songbird should put -30- in his tagline.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. Not true. The staff at the Post-Herald was told after deadline on Thursday that Friday would be the last paper.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thanks! I really would visit more often, but for some reason my browser at home doesn't let the pages load up. Anybody else have this problem?? It's IE 6, not 7.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think that the ads and the counters are making the site real slow for some. Even with Firefox, I occasionally have slowness on here. BYH, meanwhile, has every page come up withi....oh never mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted