1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Post says -30-

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ctr, Dec 31, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

At one time, and it was while I worked there covering preps as a college student -- we had Lonnie Wheeler, Peter King, Mark Purdy, Tim Sullivan, Mike Dodd, et al, ...... I'd put that stable of horses in those days up against anyone, and most certainly the Post -- even with the great Jay Mariotti -- at that time. But that was the mid 1980s and I departed the market after graduating college in 1987 because most of those guys had already left, the paper was going downhill under Gannett's reign, and I knew the Post's inevitable fate.

That said, I wish Lonnie, Terry Boehmker and the other Posties the best. A lot of good memories from those days.

3. ctr

ctr New Member

Underneath the -30- the subhead explains it

I loved it. Not only did Tom Consolo do that, he also led a string quartet after putting out the last edition. They not only did Auld Lang Syne, as well as an unearthed Cincinnati Post March from the 50s, I think.

It was an odd day, that's for sure. But can't say it was unexpected.

While waiting to fill out my final paperwork, some lady came in and asked, "I was told to come in here, I was trying to buy a Cincinnati Post?" My response was, "Where have you been the last 10 years?"

Once again, Gannett didn't live up to their promises in the JOA -- we didn't even get our 6 each of the Cincinnati edition. Bastards.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

And it's perfect and moving because the last two words of the definition in the subhead are "the end."

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sue for breach of conteact. They publicly said what you;d get and they didn't deliver.

6. stop talking to yourself

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'll drink a toast to the Post.

Fare thee well, my friends (even the ones I don't know) who worked there.

Sincerely,
    J_D
    (raising a glass)

8. The Poz on the Post. Great reading. Then again, you already knew that.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2007/12/31/death-in-the-afternoon/

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

You have to appreciate their consistency. That's mafia-like in its "fuck you" mentality.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wonderful stuff.

11. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I understand that one of the members of this board was responsible for picking up the copies of the final Post for the various offices and, depending on what office you were in, you either received more or less than what you were supposed to.

Not only can this board member not count, but he was biased towards the offices he liked.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I have been meaning to post this for awhile, but time limitations have kept me from doing it.

This is one of my favorite stories of all-time, written by a former Post staffer known as Sarge. It is a Kentucky basketball game preview from the 1997 season (I think), though as I found out, it takes awhile before you see the notes about the game.

Sarge loved to bring philosophy into things. . . well, you'll see:

CINTI POST SPORTS UK13
    "The cosmos none of gods or men made, but it always was and is and shall be an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures."
    Heraclitus

By (Sarge)
    Cincinnati Post
    Lexington, Ky -- The wisdom of ancient Greece is called upon to adequately illustrate the magnitude of what seems likely to transpire around the Kentcuky Wildcats this evening. Although they are coming off their only loss this season, the Wildcats are, in the Heraclitean sense, on fire.

The most-influential pre-Socratic philosopher, Heraclitus found not that the world really is a fire, but that the flickering movements of fire best illustrate how the world manages at once to change and still stay the same. Like the changes of the world, the changes in fire are born of the relationship between deficiency and surplus, for a fire must always be fed to stay alive, all the while giving off an excess of smoke and heat. In fire, like the world, we concurrently see unity and diversity, change in the context of changelessness.

With the introduction of a new starting forward this evening when they resume Southeastern Conference play at Alabama, it appears the Wildcats are headed toward this type of stabilizing transformation, one that would alter the look of this team while solidifying it now and for the future. With seniors Cedric Jenkins and Richard Madison working out of that forward spot this season, they have been operating with a deficiency. With freshmen LeRon Ellis and Eric Manuel waiting on the bench, they also have been operating with a surplus. And with a 53-52 loss to Auburn Saturday that dropped the Wildcats to 10-1, UK coach Eddie Sutton has decided to relieve Jenkins of his starting position, and his responses to interrogation indicate that he will replace the deficiency with the surplus , even though he hasn't yet made the decision.

In other words, the smart money says that either Ellis or Manuel will make his first career start tonight. It seems likely that tonight is the night for one of these franchise freshmen to make the huge step toward at once changing and anchoring the team's present and future.

In fact, its possible for both to start, for Winston Bennett has been stricken with a flu virus and unable to practice this week. But, for his part, Bennett does not expect to miss the game.

(The story goes on to add more notes but since I have had to type the story so far, this much will have to do).

Draft saved Draft deleted