1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati/Kentucky Post to cease to exist by end of year ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rosecrans does an outstanding job on the Reds...

This may just be "official" today, but that date has been out there for years...

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Trent's good peeps. If you want to get him riled up sometime, ask him about his days in Athens, Ga....

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I hate to help jack this thread into "CTR is an effing stud," but his blog is very, very good. It's what a beat guy's blog should be. He does a great job.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... or make fun of the South.

Yep. Trent's a great guy. So is Lonnie.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Trent's blog does indeed kick ass. When the time comes that I have to start blogging on my beat, I plan to use his blog as one of my models.

He's a good guy. I haven't been as helpful to him as he's been to me, and I hope to change that if I get the chance.

Good luck to the Posties, and to all of us in TV repair.

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

What everyone else has said. Sad day, and my sympathies are with you guys...

I'll also add that Trent's a hell of a guy, and I can't imagine he won't land on his feet. Hopefully everyone else will too, though I can't say I know any of them. Still, my best to all.

7. cincyguy2

cincyguy2 New Member

Posting under my alternate name here ... I worked for the Post in the mid-to-late '90s and it was a great place to work. The fellow part-timers got along, the sports crew treated us fairly and the sports editor - Mark Tomasik - taught me a lot.

I miss those years and it's too bad it came to this for The Post. I always thought we put out a better section than the Enquirer back then, but what do I know. :)

Also, as the person who helped develop that Reds blog (for Marc Lancaster), there is no higher compliment than having someone say they want to emulate it. Trent has picked up where Marc left off and made a seamless transition (of course, he also did a great job with the Bearcats blog).

Anyway, I am sorry The Post is folding (and wish their employees nothing but the best), but I can look back with fond memories.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Trent's blog is wonderful. I hope he and everybody else land on their feet.

9. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Junkie,
    Agreed. Wheeler is a great read, and here's hoping that he and all the post people end up in a great situation somewhere else. The post has had some good people, now and then. If memory serves me correctly, Tim Sullivan (edit: on second thought, sullivan may have been purely an enquirer guy) and Paul Daugherty, two others I really enjoy reading, spent some time at the post.

I'd love to see Rosecrans keep covering my beloved reds somehow, but that would probably mean Fay or McCoy would have to go, and I love reading their stuff as well.
    I've really enjoyed having three darn good options to read about my favorite baseball team this year. It's sad we'll be down to two now.

10. ctr

ctr New Member

i happen to think rosecrans sucks

but in all seriousness, it's a sad day, but it's like there being an official press conference to tell me there's no santa claus

we all knew this was coming

that said, there's going to be some really, really good people out there looking for work soon. i've worked with some of the best people around in my three years at the post -- i've also seen some great folks take off, like frank carini, marc lancaster and jason williams.

but there's been some great people stick around.

i can't say enough about sports editor keith herrell, who was put in an impossible situation and has handled it with so much class, dedication and hard work that it's scary

lonnie wheeler, well, what everyone here has said is correct and more. the guy can put words together like no other. but that pales in comparison to the type of person he is.

dan hopwood has taught me so much, even though i don't always agree with him, he's a great newspaperman

when i grow up, i want to be able to write like josh katzowitz. seriously, fucker is one hell of a writer and so much of that begins with the questions he ask. i've learned a lot being around him. he's a great friend and an unlucky poker player

you couldn't ask to work with a better person than dave tippenhauer. and if you ever get the chance, get him really drunk and watch him go

kevin goheen is one of those people i'm honored to know. everyone who knows go-go, loves go-go. he's one of the best people in this or any other business

terry boehmker, what can you say? guy is amazing. he knows every damn thing about northern kentucky sports, he's probably the biggest reason the circulation isn't lower.

tom ramstetter and john lachmann are the backbone of the organization. nobody works harder for less.

it's been a true honor to work at the post, and i will until the end (or i get another job -- hire me please!) and won't regret it for a second.

it's a sad day for cincinnati, but i don't worry about the people, because we'll be fine. the people i've worked with are too damn good not to be.

and seriously, when i paid you guys to say nice things, i think i told you not to make it too obvious. your checks are in the mail

-- ctr

11. ctr

ctr New Member

and junkie, you're 100 percent right -- lonnie deserves many more props than that rosecrans character, but who doesn't?

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If I make it to Cincinnati before D-day, I'm buying Rosecrans some Skyline Chili.

Draft saved Draft deleted