1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Apr 23, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, stay in Kentucky and just go to Cincy for the game. They have built up the other side of the river greatly, lots of good stuff across from the park rather than try to wade through the street of Cincy.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree with half of this post. The Montgomery Inn boathouse on the river is awesome. On game day you'll probably have to wait for a table, but kill time by taking in all the memorabilia. If you're a Cincy sports fan, you could take two hours looking at everything.

Love Skyline, and I hate spaghetti. Give me coneys and the little crackers all day long. And RIP to Skyline's co-founder, who died this week.

3. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

One thing to consider, if this matters to you, is that Cincinnati doesn't allow smoking in bars and some places in Kentucky do. The Scottish bar downtown is Nicholson's, and the restaurant next door isn't bad either. I think it's called Walnut Street Grill and used to be Bootsy's. The Christian Moerlein Lager House is among the new places that Killick mentioned. There's also a wood-fired, brick-oven pizza place downtown called A Tavola that I've heard is really good.

But, as some have already pointed out, none of that really changes the fact that there's more to do on the other side of the river.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This. I only eat the coneys when I go there.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

As a man who has lived in NW, SE and NE Ohio, I never knew until a few years ago the icy stares of death I would receive when telling people from southwest Ohio that I hate Skyline. It's like I insulted their mother.

I don't want the taste of cinnamon and chocolate in my chili. I don't want the taste of cinnamon and chocolate anywhere near a hot dog. I don't want the taste of cinnamon and chocolate together ever.

6. ^^This. Had a really nice, good and filling dinner there with a window seat overlooking the water, dirty as said water may be. But, at least on the weekend's, make reservations. There is a nice bar upstairs if you don't make them and have a long wait, though.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I haven't been to Cincy in a long time. Do the umpires still hang out at Walt's Hitching Post in Fort Wright? I remember awesome BBQ ribs there.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I have to join in the hating on the Cincinnati chili bandwagon. While there I bought into the whole "Skyline, Skyline, Skyline" song and then I tried it. Once was enough.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Was just there two weeks ago for a wedding. Spent most of the time on the Kentucky side, where there are plenty of places to stay and eat. Much to my chagrin the Reds weren't home, but we did go to the Reds Hall of Fame. It's pretty well done and there are worse ways to spend 10 bucks. Looked at the Newport area. The aquarium was pretty pricey in my mind and we decided to pass but it was an OK place to look around at the river and skyline nd was pretty busy on a rainy Saturday. I liked Skyline Chili and even ate it twice. My wife not so much. Over all not a bad trip or place to spend a few days.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Also, gotta have a milkshake at a United Dairy Farmers.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't familiar with United Dairy Farmers until a trip to Columbus, Ohio a while back.

I loved the funky sign. Had a 70s vibe, with the brown, orange, purple and the Marshmallow typeface.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

If they do, they are breaking it. Walt's closed.

Draft saved Draft deleted