1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Enquirer reporter collapses, dies in newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 25, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. This guy died this morning? In the newsroom?... And they have that much information and quotes from folks? :eek:

I don't know if I am awed or horrified.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Maybe not. I'm sure a lot of former co-workers called in to friends to see if it was true, while they were on the line, they gave a quote or two.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Getting a quote from a former governor that quickly is pretty damn impressive.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised at all. I worked with Barry at the now-defunct Cincinnati Post. I started getting calls an emails at 11am and got a steady stream until mid-afternoon from folks who couldn't believe the news. Plus, Barry was one of the nicest guys and real pros left in the business. In the dying years of the Post, we all had episodes of bitchiness and a "fuck it" attitude. He never did.

Probably would have fit in nicely here, too, with his sense of humor. A colleague reminded me of Barry holding court (several times) in the newsroom, retelling almost verbatim the "Bookman" speeches from Seinfeld. And I can't tell you how many former interns have chimed in over the last day with tales of Barry's mentorship.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That's an example of how to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted