1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Enquirer layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, May 1, 2014.

1. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

Honest, I didn't wake up today thinking I'd be posting 2 threads on layoffs/buyouts, but was informed about this on FB and saw an article which included this:

Enquirer Media, which operates The Enquirer newspaper, cut 14 jobs Thursday, said Mark Woodruff, vice president of market development.

Woodruff declined further comment. Sources said at least five people, including two editors, a reporter, a photographer and an online producer had been let go
  2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Turned out to be 14 — three from advertising and 11 newsroom positions. And, months after closing its office in Northern Kentucky after steadfastly denying it (it was open for advertising... for a while...), chasing off two reporters then laying off one on Thursday, its NoKy staff is now three.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Active Member

As a former resident I have questions:

What percentage of the Enquirer's circulation comes from Northern Kentucky? Do they have a state capital bureau in Kentucky, though I guess they must share a lot of content with Louisville. For that matter do they have a bureau in Columbus? Approximatley how many editorial staff are left? I remember a prior thread where I was shocked to learn the Enquirer sports staffing was something like eight and seemed to be a lot thinner than Louisville or Indianapolis.
  4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Wonder what this means for Indy, Louisville ... Gannett layoffs typically aren't isolated deals.
  5. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Sad that newsrooms continue to cut staffs....Maybe they are cutting the wrong folks!~
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with it - Gannett has become quite adept at cutting ahead of the revenue decline to preserve the margin. I think even if a publisher was able to maintain a specified margin without staff cuts he or she would be looked at suspiciously by the corporate folks.
  7. wheels89

wheels89 Member

Sports staff is eight writers and three editors. They were supposed to hire a second Bengals writer but that is on hold after layoffs. They have only one full-time writer devoted to the Bengals but two to the University of Cincinnati.
  8. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Wheels: How many they have on Reds beat, if you know?
  9. wheels89

wheels89 Member

TarHeel: Officially 2 but more like 3 since most of what Erardi does is Reds
  10. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

I see....Would seem like 2 for Bengals and 1 for UC would be a better fit. IMO
Draft saved Draft deleted