1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cigars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 29, 2011.

1. Big fan of cigars.

Currently enjoying a Drew Estates Kuba Kuba Deluxe.

I have Alec Bradley, Rocky Patel and Gurhka's in my normal rotation.

I'm guessing that there's a number of cigar aficionados on this board. What's your favorites and where do you get your cigar fixes?

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

When I was traveling to Cuba a lot for work I had a tremendous selection in my humidor which has since dwindled considerably. My fave is probably a Monte Cristo, nice size, great flavor.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I used to get some good ones and really enjoyed them, but the house I rent now is quite small and my humidor ended up in storage ... Moving in a couple months and I'll dig it out and get back into them.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Paging Boom.

Always hated the smell until I was with a man who smoked really good ones. No complaints here, as long as we're not trapped in the car.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

In a former life, I had a hookup that would occasionally land me boxes of actual Cohiba Esplendidos straight out of Havana. I couldn't get them myself (obviously), nor could I afford them even if I could. My former father in law had a buddy that ran a marina in south Florida. The guy carried around a roll of hundreds more than I made in six months, so giving me a box of cigars a couple of times a year didn't even register with him. Contraband Cuban cigars were the least of what he and my ex father in law brought into the country.
    I still have one of the boxes in the back that I use for a piggy bank. Dang, I miss them.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Few things are better than a nice cigar. However, I haven't really been able to get into them too much renting and living in non-smoking buildings and also haven't really had anyone to guide my way with them. I have a friend who's sister used to work in the Caymen Islands and she would regularly send up boxes of cubans to him and he would always give me several. They were terrific.
    It is something I want to get further into, what do you all recommend? If I were to get a humidor, what kind of things should I be looking for in a good one?

7. Shoeless Joe

I'm far from an aficionado in terms of a broad range of selections, but I've always liked pretty much anything in the H.Hupmann and Arturo Fuente (especially the Hemingway) lines.
    For all I know they could be the Milwaukee's Best and Schaefer Light of the cigar world, but I like them.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My best friend travels internationally all the time and always sends me Monte Cristo's and other exotic cigars for Christmas and my birthday. I used to smoke them all the time, now I have them once or twice a year.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If I had to recommend something I would go with Victor Sinclair -- something in their Bohemian line. Smooth, but not for beginners. And not overpriced, either.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I love Cubanas. A nice fatty, say from Cohiba/Romeo & Juliet? Heaven. Alas, I cannot spring the $30 per stick ($360 for a box) that it takes these days (oh when will the embargo end?). Such a smooth draw, they beat anything else.

My go to for a golf round are Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #1 Maduros. Very strong Honduran, but I love the flavor and get a nice buzz.

I just discovered Olivo Series V, a nice smoke.

The best smokes, when its not a Cuban, has been dipping the stogie in a Cognac snifter and taking a draw. Smoooooooth. Try it.

11. Shoeless Joe

I enjoy that tingly/prickly feeling inside your mouth when you take a big draw toward the end of cigar and follow it up with a big pull off a beer.

This thread has me longing for good weather where I can sit out on the porch and smoke one.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There is nothing better than sitting on the front porch on a calm, late summer night. Your favorite beer in one hand. A large macanudo or something along those lines in the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted